Smoke?

Smoke?

Postby Missing Link » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:49 pm

Complete newbie question,
I've read on various recipes the terms, Thick smoke and thin smoke, is this as obvious as it sounds, :oops: i.e. the density/amount of smoke produced/required?

Looking to do some sausage/fish smoking etc and would like to sound like I've got half a clue even if I haven't!.....Yet. :roll:
Missing Link
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:18 pm

it is as obvious as it sounds :D , longer and slower will give you visual as well as flavour depth as opposed to thick and fast which will give you the visual but not the full flavour penetration
jpj
Registered Member

Postby Missing Link » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:44 pm

DOOOH!!!! :shock:
I had a sneaking suspicion thats what it meant. Thanks.
Missing Link
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:32 pm

depending on your equipment and your control over the variables that affect the performance of equipment used, only time, experiments (and best of all - eating) will give you a personalised guide. note-taking, if you're trying-out various things, will help a great deal.
what sort of smoking are you looking to do, hot or cold or both?
jpj
Registered Member

Postby Missing Link » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:38 pm

I would like to have a go at both types,
I haven't got a dedicated smoking device yet apart from a large oval shaped kettle type bbq which I think will be ok to start some basic smoking experiments.

I've had a look through the forum and other sites and dont know whether to go down the Bradley route or the Brinkman route, any advice?
My ultimate goal is to be smoking & curing Bacon, polish sausage and Salami etc.
I've purchased some Hygrometer/Thermometer devices and have them placed in various locations around the house trying to find ideal'ish cultivating,maturing conditions based on what I have read so far.
Thanks for the response.
Missing Link
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing