Smoked Mackeral

Smoked Mackeral

Postby TonyE » Tue May 29, 2007 10:22 am

I am heading off to Chesil Beach on Monday 4th June, hopefully to catch Mackeral, and then smoke some of them in my Bradley.

The last time I did this I over cooked them during Hot Smoking, can anybody remind me of the following please.

1) Brine strength, I think I used 80% last time
2) Brining time, (2-3hrs I think)
3) Smoking Time and Temperature <--- The Crucial Bit
4) Fish 'filleted' or 'left whole' (I left mine whole last time)

This time I will keep a diary of what I do, and add it to my files.

Anybody care to join me at Chesil, you would be welcome

Regards - Tony
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby royt » Tue May 29, 2007 4:22 pm

Hi Tony, there was a thread I started on smoked mackerel about a year ago in this section that might help you.
Roy

Ps Found it ! It was dated 17 May 2006

Mod edit: Here in fact:
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=1650&start=0
royt
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Tue May 29, 2007 4:46 pm

Hi Tony,

There's lots of info in the fish curing section, including a recommendation not to brine mackerel if it's to be hot smoked. Also, if you are going to brine I think 2-3 hours is a long time for such a small fish, especially if it's filleted, but then I don't like things too salty. I only left the haddock and trout I did at the weekend in the brine for 10-15 minutes. 80% brine with half as much brown sugar to salt. The trout was fantastic.

Hope this helps

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Smoked Mackeral

Postby TonyE » Wed May 30, 2007 8:13 am

Thanks for your help Jenny and Royt

I will see how many Mackeral I catch (if any???) if I get enough I can try experimenting.

I quite like the idea of minimal brining, that is an interesting thought Jenny. Although I believe the idea of brining is to extract water, and assist smoke penetration. I still have a few days to decide my smoking strategy.

Many thanks for your suggestions, it is all 'food for thought'

Regards - Tony
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Wed May 30, 2007 8:47 am

Tony,

You will be surprised how quickly thin seafood will take on a brine. I brined some king prawns a while back to a recipe that said 3-5 minutes. I tried them at 3 mins and they were nice, but at 10 minutes, (I forgot them...) they were really very salty!!

I was surprised at the rate at which they took on the salt. I would think thin fillets of mackerel wouldn't need much longer than a few minutes.

Keep us posted,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed May 30, 2007 9:42 am

Keith Erlandson's 'Home Smoking and Curing' is a useful read. He suggest a brief brining time for smaller fish, and the forum linked to the Bradley site has a lot of good input to browse through.

Mackerel, being very oily, could probably stand a little longer brining time, but haddock for me is 10 minutes max or it's only fit for kedgeree.

Hope you have a good catch this weekend to experiment on.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:49 am

Hi FB

Did you cold or hot smoke your prawns?

I have been asked to smoke some prawns for one of the old game keepers in the village so have purchased a Lb of cooked prawns and intend giving them a go later on. I was undecided weather to brine them or not in the first instance but I suppose half and half would be good for a first attempt.

No problem with it being too hot to smoke today - its peeing down here at the moment................

cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:56 am

we hot smoke cooked prawns/crevettes/mussels from frozen
no need for brining
we don't re-cook them
they just defrost and take on the smoke and colour during the time taken
jpj
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:28 pm

It is recommended that a gutted mackerel of average size and fat content has to remain in the usual 80� brine (use 275g salt per litre of water) for up to 5 hours. This ensures a salt penetration of the flesh to a level of 3 percent - acceptable to most consumers.
However, if the mackerel are filleted, the immersion times rapidly decrease. An average fillet takes about 3 minutes in 80� brine.

As to smoking, I use a Bradley so can only give suggestions for that. First set the thermostat to 30�C for � hour. Then raise the temperature to 50�C, which should be kept for another � hour. For the final cooking stage the thermostat is reset to 80�C for 40 minutes or so.

Good luck!
Last edited by Hobbitfeet on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Smoked Mackeral

Postby TonyE » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:12 pm

Thanks Hobbitfeet

I will print out your reply, and keep it for future reference, for when I next get some Mackeral, to smoke in my Bradlkey. I went to Chesil Beach in early June targeting Mackeral - did'nt catch a thing...........

Regards - Tony
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:02 pm

I have heard they are in at the moment in the Southwest. Let us know how you get on.
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:55 pm

Do you get mackeral off the Suffolk coast at this time of year? (End of the month is when I am going)

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Hobbitfeet » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:02 am

Corton, Dunwich have some good sole at present, Kessington some good chance of bass. Felixstowe should be getting mackerel soon.

`�.��.��><((((�>`�.��.���`�.�.���`�...�><((((�>
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:29 pm

saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing