Smoked my first meat -> have a laugh !

Postby Richierich » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:41 pm

Glad I didn't try it in the garage, it reaks after just storing the smoker and bean can in there.

Do you think that using the same device for hot and cold smoke will have an affect on the taste of food produced by either method??
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby Ptarmigan » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:13 pm

Not a lot on cold smoking, more about iron powers and lack of broad discuss ,, oh there there,,
Last edited by Ptarmigan on Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ptarmigan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:34 pm

Richierich>
I agree with Ptarmigan - I don't think you would get enough heat from the soldering iron.
I don't think there's any problem using the same smoker for hot or cold though - many people seem to use the Bradley smoker this way.

Ptarmigan>
I know what you mean - I've started 4 topics to ask questions - I haven't had any reply at all to 3 of them! :cry:

Best wishes

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Ptarmigan » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:46 pm

Removed because of no cold smoking content
Last edited by Ptarmigan on Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ptarmigan
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:51 pm

Dont lose hope - if people dont answer it is usually because they have not had the experience, rather than they dont want to answer the question.

With regard to smoking cold and hot I can only offer my experience from my Bradley. The Bradley comes in two parts, the cabinet and the burner. When a hot smoke is required the burner is placed inside the cabinet via a small hole (please see www.bradleysmoker.co.uk a picture speaks a thousand words) and when cold smoke is required the burner plate is placed in a cardboard box a few feet away from the box which needs to be elevated so the smoke can rise without heating the inside of the box so creating a cold smoke.

I dont see any reason why the same principal cannot be used with whatever you are using to create smoke (sorry I have no experience of a soldering iron).

Cheers WW

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:19 am

Cromagnon Soldering Iron Man has been on hols in Suffolk looking after his kids :D I'm back now. Ask away...

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:40 pm

Dave>
Thanks for developing the soldering iron system - it's superb. Hope you think my adaption using home-brew bins does it justice! It's spurred me on to building a more 'permanent' smoker - I'll post pictures when it's finished.

Ptarmigan>
I try and support Franco 'cos I think this forum is superb - for all its faults. I just wish he'd take a more active role as he could obviously teach us a lot. He seems to be more active recently on 'Downsizer' :? . Keep contributing mate :) I think it's just a temporary blip caused by the loss of a few of the more experienced members. :(

Cheers
Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Richierich » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:20 pm

Obviously I am a relative newby here, but to be honest with you I think any input is valuable, from anyone, nevermind experience or skills, especially on topics that are more about trial and error than knowledge. If people are busy then they may not reply, but between the rest of us I think we could give most things a good crack, Vernon Smith has managed to forge ahead and develop his own "cold" smoking methods in less than ideal conditions.

I can't comment on how things were, but lets just get on with what we have now.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby Ptarmigan » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:05 pm

Removed because of no cold smoking content
Last edited by Ptarmigan on Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ptarmigan
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:35 am

Mod Hat on:

Can we stay on the subject of cold smoking food in this thread please.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing