Brinkmann modifications - The verdict

Brinkmann modifications - The verdict

Postby Richierich » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:28 am

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, or in this case the proof of the mods was in the beef. After modifying the Brinkmann to give me easier charcoal access, air control in the base and somewhere for the ash to fall I think it was a success.

Cooked a 1.5kg joint of beef at the weekend in it, 4 1/2 hours and managed to keep the temperature at a higher more consistent level than previously, being able to lift the top off to get to the charcoal means you can turn the charcoal to lose the ash, topping up is a piece of cake. As far as the air vents are concerned it possible now to actually affect the temperature of the unit, although only in a hotter/colder way, open for hotter, closed for colder. The only problem is that the ash generated although falling through the mesh I installed is filling the void, next time I will need to make sure I remove the ash when topping up the charcoal.

All in all though a great success! Just got to try the cold smoking now, I have the soldering iron (40W) although I won't hold my breath that it will last too well, its a homebase special.
Richierich
Registered Member

Re: Brinkmann modifications - The verdict

Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:47 am

Richierich wrote:I have the soldering iron (40W) although I won't hold my breath that it will last too well, its a homebase special.
If you use a light dimmer but just turn it down the tiniest fraction you will still get a hot iron but at say 37w give or take a bit (depends upon the setability of the dimmer).
By just taking the top off the max heat and stress you should extend the life of the iron considerably. The failure rate is exponential and increases rapidly as you approach the max rating of the device.

[Heath Robinson Alert]
Or you could try a 150w light bulb in series with it, it may get hot enough that way even, Ive not done the calculation it may need a higher wattage bulb or even a 500w single bar fire element.
I use this method of series light bulb to control the heat output of my chick brooders.
[end HR alert]
Ptarmigan
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:52 am

Might try a light dimmer, but thats another bit of kit sitting outside in the elements should we get a surprise shower.

Do you think smoking in a well ventilated garage (i.e door open) might be possible, how much smoke can I expect??
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:01 am

>but thats another bit of kit sitting outside in the elements

Not necessarily ;) Run a cable fron the dimmer in the garage out to the soldering iron.

>Do you think smoking in a well ventilated garage (i.e door open) might be possible,

Possibly make everything in the garage reek of smoke for a few weeks ! :( Remember your "make poverty history" band ;) ! )

>how much smoke can I expect??

quite a lot, enough to make a good stink !
Ptarmigan
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:24 am

I also think the neighbours might worry if they see smoke coming from the garage.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:19 pm

Well, after spending more money, another 49p for a tin of Heinz, I now have the ability to intoduce smoke with minimal heat. The blanket round the bottom is to keep the wind from whipping the smoke out the bottom.

Not very dense smoke though, am I expecting too much?

ImageImage
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:59 pm

I still experiment with my cold smoker and burnt out the soldering iron with a radical top down design, that I shan't publish here :oops:

Dave

Maybe Rich and I ought to join resources :lol:

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Richierich » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:24 am

saucisson wrote:I still experiment with my cold smoker and burnt out the soldering iron with a radical top down design, that I shan't publish here :oops:

Dave

Maybe Rich and I ought to join resources :lol:

Dave

Top down design?? I was wondering whether the soldering iron/bean can would be better placed at the top, "seal" the lid on and let the smoke fill the chamber as it goes. I wondered if you might get a denser smoke this way, and any wind might affect it less. Got a batch of back going into cure later today, might be ready to smoke next week, if the weathers okay.

As to joining resources, let me start to walk first, I've only run empty trials so far, not actually put food on the line yet!
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:18 pm

Rich,

The can was still at the bottom of the BBQ.

My top down design was to fill the can with chips and put the lid (perforated) on top of the chips, and stick the soldering iron in through a central hole in the lid. The idea being that as the chips smoldered and burnt away the lid would progress to the bottom of the can taking the iron with it.

a) it didn't move down the can

b) the soldering iron received all rising heat, overheated and burnt out

Back to the drawing board :D

Dave

Edit: the bean can design produces a trickle of smoke for long slow smoking so you're correct, don't expect too much. This is an advantage in Suburbia if you don't want the neighbours to call the fire brigade :)
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing