Easy to Make Cold Smoke Generator

Postby Hoggy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:20 pm

Allforumemail, you can try a Dremel
Hoggy
" The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. " ( Frank Hebert )
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:14 pm

Hoggy,

yes:) I'll try and make the setup clearer :D
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Hoggy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:21 pm

Dave
Be very careful with your setup, if you do something wrong your smoke will be " el dente " , there is NOTHING good on meat " el dente ". :lol:
Hoggy
" The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. " ( Frank Hebert )
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:28 pm

Can you explain that again Hoggy? My problem is keeping it alight at the moment :) The smoke I am gettting is glacial.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Hoggy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:35 pm

Yeah, I should have told you to put ice skates on, sorry. But you wanted a COLD smoke generator ? I am seriously thinking about a shower head in my smoker for the smoke, you know they have those BIG ones now a days.
Any pics ?
Hoggy
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:42 pm

I went to take some pics and in the dark I noticed the lower parts of the pasta tin were glowing orange, as was the air tube where it went in :shock:

The smoke going into the BBQ was still cold so I ran away... :lol:

I'll go back in the morning...

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Hoggy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:27 am

My my Dave, aren't ' you overdoing a bit ? Perhaps you should try the " reverse flow ", because if you have to return each time like this to your smoker after 6 hours of cold smoke, I can tell you...you are not going to do that a long time !
Perhaps nice to sell on Ebay as a kit...the smoker AND the shoes....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hoggy
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby allforumemail » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:01 am

Hoggy wrote:Allforumemail, you can try a Dremel
Hoggy

Hoggy, any other changes in the fridge rather that replacing the plastic part on the door by Ssteell sheet ?
please if you can explain more in this step as i'm planing for my conversion this week end
Thanks
Last edited by allforumemail on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
allforumemail
Registered Member

Postby allforumemail » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:05 am

Richierich wrote:AFE - Not sure which hole you refer to, depending on the size you could buy a hole saw, fits on an electric drill, a central bit guides the alignment and then an outer serrated blade cuts the hole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hole_saw

Thanks Ricihierich for your input I was talking about the fridge/ smoker exhaust in the top of the fridge.

I'm in planing for the conversion so I'm gathering as much info as Ican

thanks
allforumemail
Registered Member

Postby allforumemail » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:07 am

saucisson wrote:Here it is, photo on it's side, sorry. Bottom bottle has an inner feeder tube going halfway down inside so acts as a condensor, or, if half filled with water, a bubbler

Dave

Hi saucisson, it looks nice, however I cant see the air pump?
allforumemail
Registered Member

Postby Hoggy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:35 am

Allforunemail, at least now we know what hole. Here is what I did, I defined the center of the hole IN THE INSIDE of the fridge, then drilled with A LONG MESH ( drill bit ? ) a hole as much vertical as can be, if your mesh is long enough you will also drill through the outside. Mine was too short, so I used a big long nail through the hole and hammered until I saw the mark on the outside of the fridge. After that I drilled the second hole from the outside. After that you draw ( using your small hole as a center point ) the real sized circle for your outlet. I cut the holes with the jig saw....that was the easy part.
I changed the inside door as I already told you and I had to replace the " rubber " of the door, because that was nothing any more. I think I will do that again in the future, because I used adhesive rubber strip for windows in the winter, but the fridge has a dent on one side and this rubber does not close the door completely. When the door is closed I still have 1/2" opening on the bottom, I keep that for now because it creates a natural draft, and I adjust with the exhaust valve on top.
If you wanna know more, just ask.

Don't forget to make pics, we all wanna see !!!
Hoggy
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:53 am

allforumemail wrote:
Hi saucisson, it looks nice, however I cant see the air pump?

The air pump is on the floor behind the BBQ and the tube enters the pasta pot through a hole in the side wall just above the base at the back, out of sight.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby allforumemail » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:43 pm

Hoggy wrote:Allforunemail,
I changed the inside door as I already told you and I had to replace the " rubber " of the door, because that was nothing any more.
When the door is closed I still have 1/2" opening on the bottom, I keep that for now because it creates a natural draft, and I adjust with the exhaust valve on top.
If you wanna know more, just ask.

Don't forget to make pics, we all wanna see !!!
Hoggy

Hi to all,
guys,I really apreciate your answers

while I was reading about the fridge conversion on some other sites, I came across different openions regarding the "rubber" issue as the following views:

1- replace with the foam adhesive strip
2- after some smooking attemps the orginal rubber will got damaged and eventually you'll need to replace.
3- leave the orginal rubber but just cut small piece on the middle of the top and the bottom of the door rubber
with this openion the size of the cut depend on the need" i.e. the guy with this openion recommned to start cutting a small openings and further go to more as per your need "

personally I'd like to go with the 3 rd option.

However I want to know your experinces, so who ever done this conversion please share with us your experince!!

Thanks
allforumemail
Registered Member

Postby Hoggy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:10 pm

Here are my 2 cents :
If your rubber is still good, keep it and NEVER NEVER NEVER cut a hole in your rubber. You want a rubber to close ? So it would be stupid to cut a rubber, ESPECIALLY on top ! The hole in the top they did probably to create an exhaust, but you will make your own exhaust IN the fridge on top. This is MUCH BETTER, an exhaust valve you can control, a hole in the rubber you can not.
An other ADVANTAGE of an exhaust on top is, that you can connect it to a flexible hose to outside, so if your fridge is closed well with the rubber, you can smoke in your garage with the flexible pipe going outside or so.
This is what I mean, I smoke IN my shop connected with a duck pipe.

The advantage of using the existing rubber is the connection to your fridge, most of the times it is done " mechanically " , I mean with a slot or so. The adhesive rubber that I used is much less, the adhesive glue will get soft with higher temperatures. so you need to re-glue sometimes.
I don't know how much temperature the rubber of your fridge can stand, but I used plain window strip, the cheapest of the cheapest and that works fine, it is only the glue that is less.
Keeping your rubber is the BEST you can do !!!!!

And last but not least : with an exhaust hole in the MIDDLE on top of your fridge, you will force the smoke to go up evenly through your smoker, nothing better then that.

Hoggy
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby Hoggy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:13 pm

Dave, don't build up the tension so much.....did you try a test run...pics ?
Hoggy
Hoggy
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing