Easy to Make Cold Smoke Generator

Postby saucisson » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:41 pm

The smoke was so cold it didn't want to rise up through the BBQ, so I had to move the fish down right to the bottom.

Dave
Last edited by saucisson on Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:03 pm

WOW....
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Hoggy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:50 pm

First time I smoked I had the same, but my smoker was completely closed. Now I keep a small draft with the exhaust on top and a small opening at the bottom and it all works fine. But when I saw it going down the first time I REALLY thought about the shower head :lol: You could also consider a small computer fan if you don't want to change anything on your smoker.
Your fish looks good, hope it tastes the same. :roll:

I have added the second heating element this afternoon, one was not enough to go to 250F, now it is easy. I am re-smoking a ham right now, the CSG is on for 4 hours now and it will be the first time I will smoke over-night. :P Tomorrow evening it will go in the fridge for a week, see if the flavor goes in a bit.
Hoggy
" The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. " ( Frank Hebert )
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:13 am

Hoggy wrote:First time I smoked I had the same, but my smoker was completely closed. Now I keep a small draft with the exhaust on top and a small opening at the bottom and it all works fine. But when I saw it going down the first time I REALLY thought about the shower head :lol: You could also consider a small computer fan if you don't want to change anything on your smoker.
Hoggy

I have a spare large shower head so immediately thought about it after your suggestion, and then thought of the computer fan idea :lol:

You beat me to print :)

I was too busy inserting bean cans into coffee cups :D

Dave :D

Edit:

poor attempt at humor above
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Hoggy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:42 am

Hi all, here is my latest update. I have installed the smoker in my shop, this is only for the winter, because in the summer it goes to the summer house of my father in law. I have made a wall through connection so we are able to smoke also during winter time. In the box on the exhaust is a ventilator, because on the outside it is not a real chimney.
We have soo much snow, on the outside the level of the snow is only
30 cm LOWER.
It all works fine, the only smoke I get inside is when I open the CSG or the door of the smoker, so I keep those wisely closed :lol:

Hoggy
" The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. " ( Frank Hebert )
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:56 pm

nice work hoggy :)

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:12 am

Hoggy;

two things to be concerned of, the smoke will stain the outside of your wall, make sure you put your exhaust pipe to clear the eaves.

Second if the exhaust fan is too powerful, it will draw the smoke out too fast... Balance is the key

Fantastic setup, I am extremely jealous
Cheers from The Big Dog
www.lesnoiracochon.com
http://blog.lesnoiracochon.com

Where tasty things happen
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Postby Hoggy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:36 am

Hey Big Dog,

I know what you mean with the stain, I have put some plastic plate on the wall right now on the outside, will see in the summer what to do. The fan is only a small fan, but I covered it with a valve in between the smoker and the fan, see pic

Now I know you are still alive Big Dog, I have a question for you. What do you think about the idea of using a chest freezer as curing room, with a line voltage thermostat in it and a himidifier, I posted a link from this a few posts ago.
I have space enough, my shop I use only to make prototypes for my ideas and I have settled with my father in law that the smoker stays in my shop during wintertime.
Perhaps this topic belongs somewhere else ?

Hoggy
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:45 am

Yeah, sometimes we tend to hijack the thread.

I had accuired a stand up freezer which I thought I do just that, it will usine a PID to control the temp, I was thinking of getting two that would also control a hot plate so we could heat the unit as well. I could still deal with air flow with a small computer fan but keepin ghte RH at 60% was becoming a factor. The usnt was starting to look like swiss cheese with all of the holes I would have to drill.

So I am using it a a chiller to keep the sausage meat cool enough to process. I am looking into another way to create a side chamber to heat, cool and humidify the air flow. I am now looking at commerical ideas, I was toying with a glass pop unit the ones with a sliding door....
Cheers from The Big Dog
www.lesnoiracochon.com
http://blog.lesnoiracochon.com

Where tasty things happen
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Postby Hoggy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:58 am

I saw a small cool mist himidifier on Ebay with a hydrostat controller on it. This controller regulates the humidity, but the small fan keeps always running.....It was for USA only of course.....But it could be a good solution.
Hoggy
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:57 am

BigDog,
You may not need two PID's, some have two alarm outputs which can be used to switch relays.

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:21 pm

Staining may be less of a problem with this sort of set-up as much of the tar ends up in the condenser, or all over your hands in my case :lol:

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Hoggy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:59 pm

LOL, yes Dave you are right...thought in the beginning it was side effect of my smoking habit, always had a small stain on my finger of holding my tobacco.....but it got bigger and bigger.....so now I developed a special clothing line, it is called FFO ( for fools only ) :lol:

Think I will start by Ebay, buy 2 and you get 2 pasta cans for free. ( perhaps we can trade Dave, I am not a difficult person ) :lol:

Hoggy
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby Hoggy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:35 pm

Here is a pic from the first time we re-smoked ham, we, that is my father in law and me. Clearly you can see on the left screen we have 2 hams in the smoker. On the right screen is the smoker, seconds before smoke-off.

I do not recommend doing it like the way this is done, the screens are far too small and placed far too high :lol:
But I still have parts left over for the one who is interested, you can pick them up for free in my warehouse in Houston, just say Hoggy sent you and it will be OK. 8)

Hoggy
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby Hoggy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:54 pm

Hi all, hope you all realize I was just kidding with my last 2 posts, but not about the staining effect that Dave mentioned, I had that too and it was one of the reasons I like the condenser, it takes out that stuff.
Told you I was interested in creating a curing room and did some research on that, to do it in a simple and in-expensive way. Perhaps this should be in an other forum, but for the one who is interested, I found a way to build yourself ( VERY EASY ) a line thermostat with you can set the max. AND the min. temperature very accurate. Example : I can set 20-45F or 35-70F or whatever you want. Or Celcius of course.....The parts cost me only 7 bucks
Perhaps I will put it on my site in the future, but if someone is interested I can mail the info to you. Did not want to put it in this forum, because I am not sure if it belongs here. Let me know.

Hoggy
Hoggy
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing