Prky Pa's smoker review

Prky Pa's smoker review

Postby gadusmorhua » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:40 am

Although there is detailed instruction available on this forum on making your own smoke generators I followed the link to Porky Pa's site http://porkypas.spaces.live.com/Persona ... 02_owner=1
and was soon in his ebay shop, where my twitchy mouse fingure clicked on 'buy it now' Costing �32, including shipping (customs left me alone) I think it represents great value for money.By the time you have driven around finding the parts it would probably cost half that, plus your time- though I realise there is satisfaction in making things yourself.
Never the less this makes things easy, just get a dustbin, drill a hole, attach the smoker and your away.The unit is well constructed out of heavy gauge aluminium and holds enough pellets or chips to run for about three hours, though larger units are now available that give eight hours burning- perfect for taking advantage of low night time temperatures.The body is filled with pellets, to below the outlet pipe (take care this doesn't become blocked), and ignited with a blow torch at the bottom.Once lit (about twenty seconds) you attach the bottom cup, tighten the clip and switch the aquarium pump on.I chose the battery version as it is nice not to have to worry about extension leads.Once a steady stream of smoke is produced I turn the inline valve right down, to maximise burn time.Using it for the first time I placed a max/min thermometer in the smoke box and was pleased to see it was barely one degree warmer inside.My only criticism is that a little smoke escapes from the bottom cup seal- I am wary of over tightening the clip, but this soon seals itself with tar products.I think this smoker is great value, fifteen quid for a dustbin and you have an idiot proof smoke house for under fifty quid.
Apologies for the amateurish layout of this review, it took me half an hour to figure out photobucket, and P.P's site has better images any way!
work my fingers to the bone and what do I get?...
BONEY FINGERS !!
gadusmorhua
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:12 pm

Nice review, thanks,

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

THANKS

Postby Porky Pa » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:38 am

Thanks for taking the time for the nice review. It is a very simple design but for someone who doesn�t have the time or equipment to make one I feel that it is a good value. I enjoy making them and am pleased with all the positive feedback I�ve been getting. I now have started to make larger ones that will smoke for longer periods of time - 6, 8 and 14 hrs on one load.
Thanks! Porky Pa
SMOKE ON [url]porkypas.com
Porky Pa
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:46 pm

It must be a great piece of kit for the money, it cost me much more to make my homemade version.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:50 pm

The fact that people are importing them from the USA says a lot, well done.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby lemonD » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:23 am

Dave,
Is your set-up still condensing tar in the warmer weather?

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:34 pm

Yes it is, though on my last smoke a fair bit dripped onto my turkey from the tube feeding into the top of the smoker. I wiped it off with a cloth and although that bit of the skin was stained (think nicotine fingers) It didn't affect the flavour at all. I'll decant the contents of the condenser and take a photo.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Spuddy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:00 pm

Collect the condensate and sell it as "Liquid Smoke" :)
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:40 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: nice one.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Zulululu » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:19 pm

Shot Spuddy that is exactly what it is, don't throw it away you probably have better liquid smoke than the stuff you buy.
No one knows more than all of us.
Zulululu
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:15 am

gadusmorhua,

Does the porky Pa's produce tar?

LemonD
lemonD
Registered Member

Liquid Smoke

Postby Porky Pa » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:08 pm

Hi Group
On the subject of liquid smoke. Being that the unit produces so much smoke in a small area tar does build up. I recommend cleaning it after each use. I have had someone suggest cleaning it with whisky preferably Jack Daniels and diluting it with water and letting the alcohol evaporate off to make liquid smoke. I have not tried it yet so I can say one way or the other how it would be. I would hate to ruin the Jack. Maybe Il try it with a cheaper alcohol
Porky Pa http://porykpas.com
Porky Pa
Registered Member

Postby gadusmorhua » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:06 am

lemonD wrote:gadusmorhua,

Does the porky Pa's produce tar?

LemonD

A little tar builds up in the generator but I clean it by warming up with a heat gun and wiping clean, that does me.I have learnt to wear latex gloves though as I stank for days, not unpleasantly I might add; indeed you could say I was a walking advert for my product.People complained I was making them hungry!
I've put a link to your site (and this one)on my fly fishing forum Porky Pa, there are constant requests for smoking info - you should come over and do the Game Fair, I reckon you'll sell loads.
Gads
work my fingers to the bone and what do I get?...
BONEY FINGERS !!
gadusmorhua
Registered Member

Cold smoker

Postby Porky Pa » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:20 am

Thanks Gads
I would love to come over and do the Game Fair. Sounds like it would be fun. I have been very happy with the feedback I have been getting and all the positive emails.
I really like making my own sausages, hams, bacon and smoked fish. With all the cures and temps that are involved there is quite an art to it. I think this unit takes out some of the hassle.
Thanks Dennis AKA Porky Pa

It seems that people from the UK are more inclined to try something new.
Porky Pa
Registered Member

Postby Batman » Wed May 14, 2008 12:51 pm

I've been barbecueing for a couple of years with moderate success, using a lidded dustbin with a hole cut out of the bottom placed over my gas barbecue grill. I've always had problems maintaining adequate smoke so was interested in the Porky Pa smoker, particularly as I am keen to try some cold smoking.

Bought the unit and yesterday gave it a try barbecueing a chicken and some bacon and spare ribs (sorry didn't take any pictures).

Agree with everything that Gadusmorhua said in his review. The smoke leaks are not a major problem, a single load of pellets lasted me about 2 hrs but I'm sure that once I get used to the air valve I will be able to get 3-4 hours. The pellets supplied burnt to nothing, except a little tar, presumably what little ash there is gets taken away in the flow of smoke. Will be interesting to see how I get on with UK sourced pellets or chips etc. It ought to be possible to modify the smoker to add a reserve gravity fed hopper to give longer smoke times if needed for overnight smoking. The battery air pump is a little noisy but no issue, not sure how long the batteries will last.

The design of the smoker has been well thought out and has a good level of build quality. Well worth the price, even including the airmail. Just to add that Porky Pa was helpful via email.
TonyB

Visit my blog at www.batty.me.uk
Batman
Registered Member

Next

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing