Last weeks smoke

Last weeks smoke

Postby DangerDan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:38 pm

I put out a great deal of meats last weekend .
First on the racks were a couple shoulders weighing out at 16 and 17 lbs respectively.

Then my booty pastrami was packed in a pepper melange and corriander and on it went.

Finally in this run my brisket pastrami packed again with the same pepper mixture.

The pastramis will roast to an internal of 180*

I've been saving this pepper melange just for this occaision. I ground it up in the grinder to a med course grain and packed the pastramis liberally.

I started this run with maple but will be switching over to apple soon as the pastrami comes off.

Moving along to the ribeye, here she is in all her naked beauty.

I smothered her some evoo and rubbed it down down with a salt/pepper mix and again with the balsamic glaze.

Taking the boneless hams from theyre cure. I sprinkled a combination of glucose and gelatin, rolled them up and tied them up nicely, slipped em into the netting and off these two went to the smoker as well.

After a little shuffling it looks like everything fit afterall. Nothin the do but feed the smoker now and wait for the temps.

A while later and..Oh my Lord!!!

The hams and pastramis are all out and cooling. I'll probaby get them sliced up soon. The shoulders, well, we know they aren't going anywhere. Internal on these are not even close to hitting the stall zone yet @146*. Just put the probe in one so not sure if it's in a stall or not.. Matters not. It takes about 17 hours on these for the most part so I still have a while to go.

And even later.....

Well one shoulder is done but the other is being stubborn. Lucky for me I'm out of lump. In the O it go. I just foiled it however the other didnt need foil, It was fall apart done. I'll have to chill it to get it off the rack.

While waiting for my meggabutts I was able to slice some of my pastrami, ham and roast beef.

Theres a little more left to do tomorrow so I'll finish up then.

The grand final'e...

OK I'm at an impass. I tried both and can't for the life of me decide which pastrami is better.

The traditional brisket pastrami

Or... The BootyStrami.

They both taste just as good. :wink:
DangerDan
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:21 pm

Everything looks great...is the Booty Pastrami made from a Rump roast?
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby DangerDan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:55 pm

Pork Butts man... Not your true booty as in hind end, but the term works well for the cut. It was amazing with the meat to fat ratio. Better than the brisket some say.
DangerDan
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:48 am

Thanks...I'm going to have to give that a shot
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:25 am

This maybe a daft question, but how many people do you guys feed of a weekend - that amount of meat would keep us going for a month!

Mind, it looks superb. :D
Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wittdog » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:05 am

A food saver http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page.jsp is the ticket for a lot of the stuff I do.
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby DangerDan » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:11 am

wittdog wrote:A food saver is the ticket for a lot of the stuff

Yep! I work out of town 5 days a week and get tired of eating out everyday so taking home cooked food with me to stash in the hotel fridge breaks up the monotony.
Last edited by DangerDan on Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DangerDan
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:16 am

Hey Dan, The Booty Pastrami looks great! I got 2 butts curing in the frig now, it looks like one will have to end up a pastrami.
Thanks for the idea.
Dan
DanMcG
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing