sausage too wet

sausage too wet

Postby vivino11 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:17 pm

hi, when i make my sausage and put it in the smoker, there is water coming out of the sausage and it wont get smoked. i have never had this problem before, could it be that the meat is too wet. im not sure, but could use some advice
thanks

MOD edit: moved to this section from: For food service professionals, chefs, butchers etc.
vivino11
Newly Registered

Postby jpj » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:00 am

what's in them?

did you rest/bloom them before putting them in the smoker?
a lot of any excess moisture is expelled in a short amount of time during resting. and fresh wet sausages won't take as much smoke on.

is the smoker temperature too hot? because is it definitely water? or melting oil/fat?

Are you cold or hot smoking?
jpj
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:09 pm

A little more info would be helpfull...

Did you preheat the smokehouse with the vent open?
The temp change will form condesation inside the smoker affecting smoke penetration.
Did you allow the pellicle to form before you hit it with the smoke?
If the meat isn�t dry to the touch before you hit them with smoke you can have issues with smoke flavor and color�
What temp are you smoking them at?
Fat will begin to render around 185-190*F
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby vivino11 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:33 pm

thanks forall your questions. first, i use tinted cure on the meat and grind it all together. then i stuff it in the cassing and hang it in the fridge for 4 or 5 days. this is where the problem starts. there is moisture on the sausage or almost like tearing. it supposse to be dry at this point when it goes into the cold smoker which is at 50-60F. i think there is too much water in the meat already. is there a solution or machine that would eliminate that problem

thanks
vivino11
Newly Registered

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing