boars for bacon and ham?

boars for bacon and ham?

Postby youngsunhogs » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:18 am

:?: A neighbour and I have a 22 month old boar who has worked once only. I was hoping to turn him into bacon ham and sausages but my buddy thinks you can't use them for anything once they have worked. He isn't the plumpest of pigs however he doesn't have that distinctive pig pheromone pong you would expect and apart from the logistics of handling a big pig I can't think of a good reason why not. Speaking of handling a big pig is there an easy way of debarking a big one? Our usual method is the bath but the bigger they are the harder it is to do it. Yes we have a tractor and jib but sometimes the bath just isn't big enough and one ends up doing so many rehookings and turns its exhausting for all concerned. I was bored by those infomercials spruiking steam cleaners but I'm wondering if that might be a solution? Has anyone got some tips on dealing with debarking big pigs? and are working boars ok for hams, bacon and sausages?
Any help appreciated
need not greed
youngsunhogs
Newly Registered

Postby wheels » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:37 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D

I can't help on the debarking, but you may want to see this thread about 'boar taint':

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=4856

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing