Venison Snack Sticks

Venison Snack Sticks

Postby Big Guy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:52 pm

they just went in the smoker, 6-8 hrs to go.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:22 pm

All done in the smoker

in the fridge overnight to cool. I'll remove the strings and de-link them tomorrow.

Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:46 pm

Big Guy

I'm in awe. How do you possibly get through all that you produce? Mind, I guess you'll never be short of friends! :lol:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Big Guy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:07 pm

Friends and family :lol:
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:58 pm

and brothers?
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby johnfb » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:38 pm

Looking at your avatar, Big Guy, you must be a sausage loving mason....
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Spuddy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:56 pm

that's kind of what I was hinting at.
Maybe we should start a "Brethren's Bacon" section?
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby johnfb » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:07 pm

Here's my recipe for the illuminati flavoured sausage:

John
:wink:
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby vinner » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:50 pm

I think I'm going to cry.

Big Guy yet again hits us with an idea on what to make next out of our venison bounty, just 2 hours after I found out that the electricity at the ranch went out for some period of time some weeks ago. How do I know the electricity was out?

Well, since the county that the ranch is in is the size of the state of New Hampshire, with a population of 4,600 souls, providence would have to be involved. The propane distributor made his quarterly check of the tank. Something smelled odd to him coming out of the 2,000 square foot ranch house. Something similar to the smell of a deceased rancher, in full decomposition, and he would know, as he found the old owner in 1975 in the same manner.

So, the Sheriff of the county calls me. Wants to know if anyone has been staying there ( we are 330 miles away in Houston). So, no , no one is supposed to be there. He wants to know if we could possibly have some "illegal aliens" from south of the Texas border who could have snuck into the house. "How the "eff" do I know", I say.

"So", he asks, "can we enter the house and look around"? "Yes", I say. "Do you know that if we find something inside you will possibly have to account for where you have been hourly for the last two weeks" he asks?

To make a short story long, being arrested subject to investigation would have been the second worst thing that could ever happen to me in my life. As luck would have it, the first worst thing happened.

The freezer died in the blackout. Over 400 pounds of venison from 4 different kinds of animals, sausages, snack sticks, duck breasts, burger meat, shrimp and, most sadly, roasted cheese and crab stuffed breaded and ready to fry jalapenos were lost in one, big stinky mess.

The sheriff offered to buy an enchilada dinner on Wednesday after I get there and through all the crap out!
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:08 pm

Noooooo - what can I say Vinner - that's tragic. Will your insurance cover the financial loss? (I know that nothing can compensate for all the hard work).

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vinner » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:41 pm

Thanks for the sentiments, Phil. No, the insurance contract we have at the ranch will not cover the loss. I will restock via bow, bullets and bucks ( a slang for money here) over the next few months.

In the meantime, iIwill be relegated to satisfying the family's ever strengthening urges for the best of the home grown, home cooked foods with Phil's soft rolls stuffed with other foodstuffs.

Not such a bad trade-off, after all!
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:06 am

What a catastrophy, when you go to the trouble to process your own game and stock your freezer you come to rely on that bounty . To have it wiped out is just cruel. Come up north and I'll give you a fix of venison pastrami, snack sticks, landjaeger ( just starting a new batch today) steaks and roasts, and the ever present jerky.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:26 pm

Bad luck, vinner, I don't envy you on Wednesday...

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby vinner » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:28 pm

Thanks anyway, Big Guy, but I'll be able to stock up on Axis and wild boar this week (I'm going tomorrow), as there is no hunting season on those. Wait, check the wild boar. I think I'll wait until the temperature is well below 100 degrees for that. I'm just hoping to salvage the freezer, but if it smells that bad.......

We are heading north to escape the heat next week, but the "other side". Going to B.C. and Seattle.

Thanks again. Isn't great to know how to restock the freezer with prepared goods, though?

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:52 pm

Well if your going to be in BC. its just a 2700 mile drive east to my place. LOL
Big Guy
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing