New cold smoke generator designed in the UK

Postby Hoggy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Here is something interesting.....

I am doing soime tests with the ProQ about the amount of heat it develops, as I want to place it inside my ( small ) smoker.

I did two tests, one with the ProQ filled full height, and one with the ProQ filled only half the height.
Below is the picture after one hour, filled only half of the height. The one filled full height burned completely untill the end in the same time.

Smoke was still sufficient for me in the small smoker, but the inside temperature in the smoker was 6 C LOWER, and it burnes slower...

Hoggy
" The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. " ( Frank Hebert )
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby wallie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:13 pm

Hi Hoggy
How do you get small chips to burn, I have tried a few times to get particles that size to burn and they always go out.
Do you start with a layer of fine dust on the bottom them the coarse stuff on top?

wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby Hoggy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:21 pm

This is how I do it wallie, you can't go wrong with that.

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=7516

I only dry it in the oven, you could take a bit more water as in the post, and a bit longer drying time as well.

I use the " dust " as it is dried, I don't sieve out or so, and if yours are a bit the same, I suggest to dry them more in the oven.

Hoggy
" The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. " ( Frank Hebert )
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:39 pm

That's incredibly interesting Hoggy, I might try a lighter load next time...
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Hoggy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:52 pm

Thought so as well Dave, can also be of interest for the summer smokers.
If you try it, go for a fraction more than half.
Marcel.
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:48 pm

Has anyone used the ProQ to smoke grain to be used in making beer? I may give this a try in the future and if there is a problem with this I'd rather avoid it. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Hoggy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:53 pm

Didn't try it, but once you have done it, and it is safe, I will be willing to take my place as a judge in the panel. ( Just to be ahead of you Dave.... :lol: )
Hoggy
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:56 pm

:lol: I don't see why it should be a problem Paul...
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Vindii » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:19 pm

I tried my ProQ yesterday. I could not get it to stay lit. I was using the sample dust that comes with it. First thing is the sample is not enough to fill the thing. It only covers about a 1/4 of the track. The first try I loaded the track about 1/2 full, put the candle in and let it burn for about 30 seconds. Pulled the candle and it smoked for about a minute and went out. I moved more of the dust to the front to try to fill it closer to the top. Relit ad same thing. Even tried to light it with my torch and it would not stay lit.

Do I have bad dust or is there a trick to this? Seems simple enough?
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:30 pm

I am surprised to hear that there was not enough to fill the unit, as far as I can recall the bags of dust are pre-measured in to single use sizes.

There are several threads from people who have had issues, I am sure Ian will be along at some point to comment.

Have you contacted them about the issue, I am sure they will be keen to resolve the issue.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby Ruralidle » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:51 pm

I am very surprised with the quantity of dust that you had because my experience has been that the single fill bags do indeed contain enough dust to fill the CSG. You should contact Ian about the shortage of dust, I have found in to be very helpful and knowledgeable. However, I have never been able to get the CSG to run properly by just leaving the candle there for 30 seconds. One or 2 min seems to do the trick for me.
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby Vindii » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:34 pm

I am in the US so it may be packaged differently than the UK version. Anyway I thought it was odd that it would not come with enough to fill it the first time.

Here a pic of it with the whole bag of dust it comes with. Each track is not even half way up to the top also.

I'll be giving it another try tonight. Ill report back.
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:19 pm

I'd contact the supplier 'cos that ain't how it should be!

Is it me or does that dust look coarser than the stuff we get over here?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Ruralidle » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:40 pm

I would say its a lot coarser, Phil. I tried to phone Ian and draw his attention to this thread but it was after 5 so I think he must have left for the day. I will email him and perhaps he can advise personally.
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby Vindii » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:58 pm

So I take it there no trick to keeping it lit? Im going to try to use this in a Big Steel keg grill/smoker. Does it matter how much air I am letting in with the upper and lower vents?

Maybe just bad wood dust?
Vindii
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing