More smoked pork

More smoked pork

Postby Sam Newman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:43 am

I brined and smoked some of my domesticated Captain Cook boar. He was caught as a wiener piglet in the Puketi forest by a possum hunter on his trap line then raised by me. His name was Dog. A very well behaved pig and partly free ranged. His main food was fresh possums. He loved them. I use a 1oz solid 12gauge slug to euthinate him. He didn't know a thing and no cuts were neccesary to bleed him. The hole was big enuf to do that job. I then imediately cut out his reproductive bits making sure not to cut it open to contaminate the meat. Then I hang him from a tree and cut him up the best I know how.

Image Image Image Image

I decided to put some veges with it. Pumpkin, Kumara, Potatoe and Onion. I should have partially boiled them a whyle instead of lightly steaming them before putting them in the smoker with the pork. The fresh herbs I used on the meat were, Rosemary, Thyme, Origano, Garlic, Dill and lemon rind and juice. The meat was amaizing. still moist and very tender. a little bit of pink. just perfect. Evin our city slicker friends enjoyed it. The veges wer black and crunchy. :lol:
You can lead a dog to water, but you can't make him a horse.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Location: Raetea Forest, Maungataniwha Ranges, Far North of Aotearoa New Zealand

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing