cajun sticks.

cajun sticks.

Postby Plumber » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:17 am

Does anyone have a good recipe for cajun sticks? I've tried a couple and they turned out OK. I want something a lot better than OK. Thanks
Plumber
Newly Registered

Postby tristar » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:14 am

Welcome Plumber, I am sure that some of our Stateside members will be able to help you out with this request.

Regards,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:34 pm

Try this one. Special meat binder is a phosphate compound avalible from Butcher Packer in Detroit.You can leave it out but I find it makes a juicier product. You can sbstitute the meat mix to whatever you have, all pork, beef and pork even chicken. Each mix will have a little different flavor and texture but still be great. I can't kep these things, my kids and frends just gobble them down, although I do get my share. LOL

Pepperetts

8 Lbs. Pork shoulder
7 Lbs. Venison
6 Tbs. Salt
4 Tbs. Paprika
1 Tbs. Chile powder
1.5 Tbs. Cayenne pepper
1 Tbs. Crushed red Chile flakes
1.5 Tbs. Black pepper
1 Tbs. White pepper
1 Tbs. Prague powder #1
1 Tbs. Mace
1 TbsSpecial meat binder
1.5 Tbs. Sugar
3 Tbs. Ground Mustard
3 Tbs. Ground Coriander
6 Tbs. Milk powder
1 1/2 cups Fermento or powdered buttermilk
1 liter cold water

Grind meats through a fine plate, re grind to mix. Add spices and water, mix well.. Stuff into 22mm collagen casings. Link into 10 “ lengths. Hang in smoker and dry for about 1 hr. at 130 F, apply a heavy smoke for about 3 hrs @150 F. Increase smoker to 175 F and smoke to 150 internal. Allow to cool. Then hang to dry to desired texture..
Big Guy
Registered Member

Pepperetts

Postby crustyo44 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:37 am

Hi Big Guy,
Your recipe lookes extremely good to me. I have and can get nearly everything you list.
Special Meat Binder is unavailable here in Australia.
Do you or any other members have any suggestions of what would be a good substitute.
I can imagine importing 1 lbs into Australia, there would be police security units, helicopters and armoured personnel cariiers on my front lawn.
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Re: Pepperetts

Postby grisell » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:54 am

crustyo44 wrote:[---]
I can imagine importing 1 lbs into Australia, there would be police security units, helicopters and armoured personnel cariiers on my front lawn.
Regards,
Jan.

:D :) I can imagine. They show that TV series 'Border Control Australia' (or something) every evening over here. Your Customs seem to find fault with just about everything.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:25 am

crustyo44 wrote:Special Meat Binder is unavailable here in Australia.
Do you or any other members have any suggestions of what would be a good substitute.

Jan,

You should be able to source the meat binder, it is only the standard phosphate binder used in many commercial products.

This page Sausagecrafthas some Australian links that maybe worth trying.

If you can't find any at those places you could substitute non fat dried milk, soy protein, or whey protein, the last two available from health food stores if nowhere else.

You could always do it the old fashioned, skillful way, and work the proteins out of the lean meats with salt and water, before adding the fats and other ingredients, this would create a natural bind in the meat to hold the fats and liquids.
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:46 am

Thanks Guys,
Tristar, I like your old fashioned idea of working the meat. I am going to try it as well as the other suggestions when spare time is available.
Grisell, you are correct about our Customs and Quarantine boys. They have to be strict, we are a big country without any disease in animals and plants. We like to keep it that way.
Our export economy depends on it.
Best Regards,
Jan. Brisbane.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:08 pm

...and look what happened when they let a few rabbits in.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Zulululu » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:52 pm

Hi Jan,
The special meat binder is a poly-phosphate from Butcher and Packer, like Tristar said just give it a good mix. :)
No one knows more than all of us.
Zulululu
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Yeah, I know about it... I've been to Australia and NZ. In the TV series they show only the most amusing scenes like the Chinese guy who said that 40 kilos of dried fish was for his own use in one week or the guy from Malaysia who always brought his CV and all certificates with him when he went to Australia on holidays for three months, with AUS$ 500 in the wallet...

Anyway, it's funny to see. I don't understand how the customs officers manage to keep their temper. Anyway, it's funny. In a good way, no criticism! :D
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:27 am

Jan, Check out this place,
http://www.mblsa.com.au/Retail_Catalogu ... t/320.html
They seem to have everythng you could want for sausage making, only problem I see is the size of the packages are a little on the big side.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby ddmaan2 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:54 pm

tristar wrote:
crustyo44 wrote:Special Meat Binder is unavailable here in Australia.

Jan,

You should be able to source the meat binder, it is only the standard phosphate binder used in many commercial products.

This page Sausagecrafthas some Australian links that maybe worth trying.

If you can't find any at those places you could substitute non fat dried milk, soy protein, or whey protein, the last two available from health food stores if nowhere else.

You can also try this place Jan, They have a place in Brisbane,look under the contacts page. I use them over here in NZ. Bunzl Food Processor Supplies, also known as Lesnie's.. http://www.bunzl.com.au/BFPS/Catalogue.htm
HTH
Cheers Dave

No one is completely useless, they can always serve as a bad example!
ddmaan2
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:07 pm

Phil,
we all know about the rabbits but not many people realise that we have the same trouble with foxes, camels and donkeys and imported buffaloes, just to list a few more.

Grisell, if you fly to Tasmania, the Quarantine boys even run the dogs over your luggage looking for fruit, especially if you come from Queensland.
Have a guess what else they find.
In my case the dog found a big,big bag of smoked biltong. It had to last 12 days for two keen fishermen in Tassie.
Best Regards to all,
Jan. Brisbane.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:36 pm

Noted - I won't reply further as I've realised that we're trampling all over Plumber's sausage thread - Sorry Plumber.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Plumber » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:35 am

No Problem Phil. It's easy to get carried away when you're pasionate about something. Sorry forthe delay but thank you Big Guy. I'll let you know how they turn out along with pics. Cheers!
Plumber
Newly Registered

Next

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing