Help! Need Suggestion about commercial smoker design

Help! Need Suggestion about commercial smoker design

Postby Yojimbo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi Everyone!
Currently I have a smoker with a capacity of approximately 20 pounds of sausage and plans to launch a project to build a homemade smoker with a capacity of 50-100 pounds for the purpose of home industry, is there any suggestions for the design, size, burners and others? I am more inclined to use concrete materials. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much

Regard
Yojimbo
Yojimbo
Registered Member

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Do you have any specifics on the temps you wish to smoke at? Do you have access to sawdust or chipped woods? What type heat source would you prefer? Do you have time to closely monitor it or do you want to set and forget?
Patience please, I'm just trying to get on the learning curve.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Postby Yojimbo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:09 am

Jogeephus wrote:Do you have any specifics on the temps you wish to smoke at? Do you have access to sawdust or chipped woods? What type heat source would you prefer? Do you have time to closely monitor it or do you want to set and forget?

Hi Jogeephus, thank you for responding!
Nothing spesific, just like ordinary Hot Smoking, the range of temperature is about 100-200°F. i use sawdust. I am currently using prophane burners for my smokehouse now (and prefer), do you have any suggestions what burner i should use to works best in large capacities of smoking? Yes, i have time to closely monitor it.

is there any suggestion?

Regard:
Yojimbo
Yojimbo
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:45 am

Yojimbo wrote:is there any suggestion?

If I my, if you can get your hands on the following you might find it of interest. I have had it in my collection for some time and find it worth the price.

http://www.amazon.ca/Smoking-Smokehouse ... 159800302X
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby solaryellow » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:30 pm

The Marianski book referenced above is an excellent book with plenty of design and theory concepts.

I built a smoker out of hardwood plywood for just this reason. Anything that needs more than 200* F of heat goes in one of my other smokers. The plywood smoker is very versatile in my opinion. I use a single hot plate and a cast iron pan filled with wood chunks covered in foil with holes poked in the foil for cold smoking. For sausage I use a small propane burner with a needle valve from a fish cooker employing the cast iron pan filled with chunks and covered with foil. It has worked very well for me.

My capacity is a little less than 100 lbs though. Closer to 60 - 70 lbs depending on what I am smoking. Good luck!

solaryellow
Registered Member

smoker

Postby dorsets21 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:43 pm

o my 8) 8) got to make that can you post plans
ask the question? where does my food come from
dorsets21
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:05 am

Very nice smoker, solaryellow.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby DanMcG » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:19 am

Nice Smoker Joel, How big is the smoking chamber, and how large is it overall? I need to build a larger one before I get back into sausage making in the fall.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Re: smoker

Postby solaryellow » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:24 am

dorsets21 wrote:o my 8) 8) got to make that can you post plans

I will see if I can get some plans up later today with some pictures of how we built it.
solaryellow
Registered Member

Postby solaryellow » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:28 am

DanMcG wrote:Nice Smoker Joel, How big is the smoking chamber, and how large is it overall? I need to build a larger one before I get back into sausage making in the fall.

I designed it so I only needed to buy two sheets of 3/4" hardwood plywood Dan. That stuff isn't cheap. I believe it is 64" tall, 28" wide and 20" deep. I will have to find my build thread on SMF to verify those dimensions though since it has been a while. If I were to do it again I would make it bigger.
solaryellow
Registered Member

Postby solaryellow » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:35 pm

solaryellow
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:00 pm

There is another example here:
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
Click on the pictures to veiw them in larger size. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:43 am

Yojimbo, here is a simple design for a wood fired concrete smoker. This one will smoke 168 lbs of mullet. Temperature is kept around 185-200F and smoke and heat is controlled by banking fire and the use of metal sheets at the hearth and top of tower. Its primary use was for smoked mullet but can be used for cooler smoking if desired. For sausage use, some modification of the rack system would be desirable.

Inside has rebar spaced between the joints to hang shelves. For sausage use flat iron on the edges would be more desriable to hang smoke sticks on.

Patience please, I'm just trying to get on the learning curve.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing