Chile And Beer Braised Brisket

Chile And Beer Braised Brisket

Postby solaryellow » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:43 pm

I decided to take a stab at chile and beer braised brisket. I started off by smoking the brisket for a good 7 hours in the old UDS. While it was smoking I made the sauce I was going to braise it in.

From top left and going clockwise: Ancho chiles, tomatoes (to be roasted), Negro Modelo, minced garlic, kosher salt, cumin, and chile de arbol, yellow onion

I roasted the tomatoes in the oven for 15 minutes before dropping them in the blender with the rest of ingredients except the beer.

Then pulled the brisket out of the UDS and put it in a full steamer pan.

Then added the salsa and a few beers.

Then foiled the pan and put it back on the smoker til the brisket hit 210*F internal temp.

After letting it cool down for an hour, I started pulling it.

Unfortunately I didn't think to pick up some tortillas. This is incredible stuff. It starts off real mild and the heat just continues to build the more you eat. I might try it without the beer next time.
solaryellow
Registered Member

Postby solaryellow » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:41 pm

Finally did it right tonight. Corn tortillas, cilantro, mexican cheese, and some lime for soft brisket tacos.

solaryellow
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:13 am

mmmm cojita. You have some crema on there too? That's a great looking composed dish right there. Nice work, I might poach this recipe sir.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby solaryellow » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:16 am

Wunderdave wrote:mmmm cojita. You have some crema on there too? That's a great looking composed dish right there. Nice work, I might poach this recipe sir.

Unfortunately, no. It was sour cream. Have at it Dave! I would be lying if I said I made it up. Just made a few changes.
solaryellow
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:20 am

It's rare to find something entirely new in food. The great thing is you can borrow 90% of someone's recipe, adjust it to your own tastes and call it your own.

My frustration only comes when someone says "It's so good! What did you put in this?"

"well, you start by making mayonnaise from scratch, and then..." (their eyes glaze over)

Negra modelo is one of my favorite beers. Maybe I'll buy some this weekend. I'll be lucky if one of 'em makes it into a braise though.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:50 am

My frustration only comes when someone says "It's so good! What did you put in this?"

Care and effort. :D For an example, see above.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby solaryellow » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:49 pm

Wunderdave wrote:It's rare to find something entirely new in food. The great thing is you can borrow 90% of someone's recipe, adjust it to your own tastes and call it your own.

"well, you start by making mayonnaise from scratch, and then..." (their eyes glaze over)

Negra modelo is one of my favorite beers. Maybe I'll buy some this weekend. I'll be lucky if one of 'em makes it into a braise though.

This recipe came out of the book Dos Caminos Mexican Street Food. I added a little more ancho and chile de arbol than they called for. I also added smoke just because I was curious and was pleasantly surprised. Mesquite probably would have been better but hickory is what I had available.

Exactly. When people find out how much effort and care (as Paul said), they switch off pretty quickly. :lol:
solaryellow
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:33 pm

solaryellow wrote:I also added smoke just because I was curious and was pleasantly surprised. Mesquite probably would have been better but hickory is what I had available.

Looks great!

When I do chopped or pulled beef, I smoke it for 4 hours first. Then cut it into 1 - 2 inch cubes and braise it the rest of the way in the sauce of your preference. Total time is about six hours that way.

I was trying to find cheaper cuts that work good, and I go with chuck or brisket depending on the sales.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby solaryellow » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:53 pm

salumi512 wrote:
solaryellow wrote:I also added smoke just because I was curious and was pleasantly surprised. Mesquite probably would have been better but hickory is what I had available.

Looks great!

When I do chopped or pulled beef, I smoke it for 4 hours first. Then cut it into 1 - 2 inch cubes and braise it the rest of the way in the sauce of your preference. Total time is about six hours that way.

I was trying to find cheaper cuts that work good, and I go with chuck or brisket depending on the sales.

That is an interesting idea.
solaryellow
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing