BBQ Ribs

Postby wheels » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:35 pm

I've not noticed them in the wholesalers warehouse. They have a limited range of fresh meat, most of the stuff's frozen or vac-packed ready prepared in portions for pubs etc. Oh, I tell a lie - they have it at their online shop - http://store.makro.co.uk/c-1902-pork.aspx - but as you can see, the belly (in bone) is £2.49/kg (£1.32/lb) the ribs at £4.50/kg (£2.05/lb) are cut into pieces, and the others are £4.99/kg (£2.27/lb)!

Obviously, many places do sell them. If I go to the abattoir where I shop I could get them easily but it's 18 miles away so I only like to go when I need a big order - I know that may sound daft to you but our petrol (gasoline) here is over £6/gall (nearly $10/gallon!).

I guess that I shouldn't be so 'tight fisted' and go to my local butcher.

Phil

P.S. Thanks for the tip about the membrane.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Vindii » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:28 pm

I get it.

The pork ribs in your link might be precooked and packaged. As I'm sure you'll agree I'd avoid those if precooked or already cut up.

When we did the whole hog butchering class I was a bit confused how you would cut the ribs. He left the belly on and called them country style ribs. I've had those from the store and never really liked them as much as spares. I assumed you could just remove the belly and lave a little bit of meat on the top of the rib. Seems like you still have a thinner belly left over. Sounds like that's what your going for.

I like reading about differences in other parts of the world. Very interesting.
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:53 pm

If I get the whole belly from the wholesale - the thinner one - I'll cut the ribs as you advise with ½" of meat on them and use the remainder in sausage etc. If I can get the very big ones (as in deep) from the abattoir, I'll cut them the same, but the remainder will be thick enough to cure or cut for fresh eating or roll into a joint. Either way, I hope to get 'added value'.

All your help's been invaluable. I'm very grateful.

Phil :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:12 pm

I grip with a paper towel also.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:14 pm

wheels wrote:All your help's been invaluable. I'm very grateful.

Phil :D :D

So does that mean when I come back next year you will av ribs on when I drop over :lol: :lol: :lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:53 pm

If I'm fit enough, I'd love to

Phil

(but that might be a big - IF!)
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:14 am

Well last Friday I had my order for my special loins that I get for bacon so forty loins later this was the sight.

Out of all of that I end up with a pile of bones that one dose not seemed to know what to do with them

I trim the bones down still wondering what to do with them ---- Soup pot maybe

In the mean time some bacon ribs for Phil;

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:28 pm

(Phil assumes Bluebottle voice)

"You dirty rotten swine you! You've deaded the pigs!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Wunderdave » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:35 pm

BriCan wrote:I trim the bones down still wondering what to do with them ---- Soup pot maybe

:(

They look meaty enough to me for the BBQ treatment...
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:25 pm

OK, I did my first 'proper bbq' at the weekend (although I did a couple of chickens a few weeks ago. Everyone enjoyed it which is one thing, but I think it could certainly be improved. I did the method at amazingribs.com, without a 'Texas-crutch' (see: I'm learning all the words!). I was surprised how chili-hot it was with the Memphis dust rub and Kansas sauce (with added tamarind) although that may be due to my interpretation of what US Chili powder is (over here , in the Indian grocers where I get my spices, chili powder is just ground dried chilis) - is Memphis style bbq (albeit with an added sauce) meant to be hot? I only smoked it for a short time <1 hour as suggested: It wasn't anywhere near enough IMO - how smoked is the norm?. As you can see from the pictures, there's absolutely no smoke-ring on the meat.

You'll also see that, whilst I trimmed one belly quite a bit, I left the other virtually intact, more-or-less just skinning it. The meat was tender but stuck well to the ribs - that's how the instructions said it would be. For some reason I expected it to be more 'fall apart' tender. I think that my guests - having had TGI Fridays and other 'chain-restaurant' ribs were expecting a fall-apart product as well. I think I'll use the foil 'Texas crutch' method next time.

I really like the belly left more intact though - you get more meat!

As to the chicken - I've been pleased with that both times I've done it - overnight in a brine of 6% salt to water and then cook.

Oh, finally a Boston Baked Beans question - is there meant to be tomato/tomato puree/tomato ketchup in the sauce, or not?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Vindii » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:44 pm

If your doing spares I'd smoke them for 2-3 hours before wrapping them. I only like about an hour in the foil. Too long and they fall apart. Depends on your cooking temp though. Some cook them low (225F), some cook them hot (350F). I've had good ribs done both ways. Low temp give you more time to get them done correctly. High temp you need to me on it more or they will overcook.

Like I said before I'd belly up to that plate any day.

Just my opinion but I don't think ribs should be spicy hot. I like the sauce to have a little kick and the end but nothing too much. I like sweet with a little spice at the end. You'll get million of opinion on this though.
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:52 pm

When I smoke spares without a "crutch"/foil I just bury a few smoke wood chunks (apple/hickory) in the charcoal and it gives me a pretty steady 5-6 hours of thin smoke, or more, but I don't cook ribs longer than that. I don't think that this overpowers the pork or rub flavors, in fact I think it's just about right. I run my smoker at about 270 usually.

I agree with Vindii, you have to be vigilant if you are going to wrap in foil as it is very easy to overcook a rack of ribs using this method. And, if you wrap in foil you also should cook for a bit uncovered afterwards to re-set the rub because the bark will get softened up while it steams in the foil. A brief cooking period after sauce application will help your sauce set up on the meat, if you are serving ribs with sauce.

Like Vindii says though there's basically infinite ways to do this.

In regards to your spiciness question, I use lots of chili powders in my rubs. However the base of my rubs is made from mild chilis. I prefer ancho or mild new mexico chilis. I'm not sure what the translation would be for indian chilis, but in a pinch you can substitute some good quality paprika (such as Spanish or Hungarian paprika). I, like Vindii, like spiciness to be a finishing note after you get pork, smoke, sweet, and more complex flavors out of the rub.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:39 pm

Hi All

This is well beyond anything I have attempted with ribs, yet another craft to watch and learn.

My cooking of ribs has been specifically for chinese meals in the main, I removed the pleura from the ribs and would never entertain cooking them with the membrane left on, thats just me!

Having tried all the methods i have read over here in the uk, par boiling the ribs, salting ribs etc etc, i now use only baby back ribs,marinaded in a Hoi sin sauce for 24 hours then cooked in the sauce at 120º c for 3.5 to 4 hours, no complaints, but would now like to get into the bbq types as made by our fellows across the pond.

Would like to know their preferences of cuts of ribs and corresponding recipes.

Yet another forum link thats going to keep me busy!

I feel like Willy Wonka in a pork factory! :lol:
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:11 pm

kimgary wrote: I removed the pleura from the ribs and would never entertain cooking them with the membrane left on, thats just me!

I normally do this as well but last weekend I didn't remove the membrane off a rack of spare ribs before smoking them and I didn't notice any difference. YMMV
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:37 pm

Kimgary, I guess that you're like me - it's a whole new world.

As you may know, I've been in bed with loads of time on my hands so have been watching TV that I wouldn't normally entertain. Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on Freeview channel 49 has enlightened me to some of the real cooking that goes on in the small towns in the US. Some look superb.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing