BBQ Ribs

BBQ Ribs

Postby wheels » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:59 pm

Following the mention of ribs on another thread - Brican's great definition of, "Chewing on bones" - how much meat is left on when preparing a belly for St Louis ribs?

I know that the membrane is taken off the back of the ribs but is the flap of meat on that side also removed? And what of the other side? Is the belly just skinned but left whole otherwise? Half the thickness of the meat removed? Or, all of the meat, leaving only that between the bones.

What's the form?

Likewise the back bones, when I remove the loin for bacon is what's left what is cooked as back ribs? There seems so little meat if it is. But, leaving anything else would 'eat into' the eye of the loin?

As you can guess, Phil's just getting into BBQ!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: BBQ Ribs

Postby BriCan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:02 pm

wheels wrote:Following the mention of ribs on another thread - Brican's great definition of, "Chewing on bones" - how much meat is left on when preparing a belly for St Louis ribs?

Lots before chewing on the bones, not muck left when finished :oops:

I know that the membrane is taken off the back of the ribs but is the flap of meat on that side also removed?

Leave on as more to chew on

And what of the other side? Is the belly just skinned but left whole otherwise? Half the thickness of the meat removed? Or, all of the meat, leaving only that between the bones.

harf inch would be fine :?:

What's the form?

I will leave better definitions for them that know better than I

Likewise the back bones, when I remove the loin for bacon is what's left what is cooked as back ribs? There seems so little meat if it is. But, leaving anything else would 'eat into' the eye of the loin?

In all honesty, from my very limited hands/mouth on I would stick to the belly for St Louis ribs

I would leave the ribs alone as you will not like then --- honest indian :mrgreen:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:52 pm

Thanks BriCan.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:48 pm

wheels wrote:Thanks BriCan.

Just a thought -- are you (over there) still doing 'bacon ribs'? and is there any meat left on theses days?

If so I would be using them (not as bacon ribs but just as ribs)

HTH
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:56 pm

I've not seen any about for years, or collar bacon for that matter.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:29 pm

I'm far from an expert on ribs but I can add some info for ya Phil.

wheels wrote:Following the mention of ribs on another thread - Brican's great definition of, "Chewing on bones" - how much meat is left on when preparing a belly for St Louis ribs?

We don't chew on bones here, if done right it will have a little tug to it but will pull off the bone clean

I know that the membrane is taken off the back of the ribs but is the flap of meat on that side also removed? And what of the other side? Is the belly just skinned but left whole otherwise? Half the thickness of the meat removed? Or, all of the meat, leaving only that between the bones.

I tend to remove the flap and add it to the rest of the trimmings for extra sausage meat but quit often I'll toss them on the smoker with the ribs and call it cooks snack food, it will be done long before the ribs so it gives the pit master something to eat while he's cooking. what we buy has about a 1/4-3/8" meat on the top of the bone (7-14 mm)... here's what I got going tonight

What's the form?

Phil
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:41 pm

Many thanks Dan.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vagreys » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:10 am

This will help, some. On this page, you will find a diagram and series of photos of ribs being trimmed and cut. http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/pork_cuts.html

I prefer the spareribs with rib tips intact and just the breastbone trimmed away, rather than the St. Louis cut, but that was all I could get, out here. A slab of 13 spareribs should have about 1/2" of meat on the outside, or slighty more - total weight about 3-4 lbs for the slab. Don't trim away all the fat, or the ribs won't self-baste.
...I know that the membrane is taken off the back of the ribs but is the flap of meat on that side also removed?

Some do and some don't. I remove the membrane so my seasonings penetrate the meat from the bone side, as well as the meat side. Some people don't. The membrane dries out and becomes somewhat tough. It is not particularly permeable, and doesn't allow excess fat to drain away. As others can attest, I make juicy, tender ribs without the membrane, so I don't put much weight on claims that leaving the membrane in place helps keep the ribs moist. I think the moistness is more temperature and technique.

The flap of meat is part of the diaphragm, it tends to be tough and chewy, but flavorful. I leave it in place. Some folks trim the diaphragm away.
... And what of the other side? Is the belly just skinned but left whole otherwise? Half the thickness of the meat removed? Or, all of the meat, leaving only that between the bones.

Spare ribs are an actual cut, here, so not just waste from, say, trimming away the belly and side meat. If you remove all of the outside meat from the ribs, leaving the ribs exposed, there won't be enough meat left to make the ribs worthwhile. As said above, there should be 1/2 - 3/4" of meat over the ribs, and reasonably fatty for cooking low and slow. Loin back ribs (or baby backs) tend to have more loin left on them - see the second pic in the other thread, where BriCan took pics of the ribs I prepared, last week - allowing for changes from cooking. On the farm, if we cut ribs, the leftover belly was used in sausage.
...Likewise the back bones, when I remove the loin for bacon is what's left what is cooked as back ribs? There seems so little meat if it is. But, leaving anything else would 'eat into' the eye of the loin?

As above, the loin back ribs are not waste from trimming for bacon. If you are harvesting loin back ribs, then you are not cutting bone-in loin chops. Most folks trim out the eye for center-cut loin chops, and shape the remaining meat between the eye and the ribs for loin back ribs.

I think the most salient point is that ribs are their own cut, here, and not leftovers after cutting down a carcass for bacon. To some degree, how much meat is left after properly trimming for ribs will depend on the pig. I don't know what commercial shops do with the trim after cutting ribs.

Baby backs, like Danish Baby Back ribs, are usually 1.5-2 lbs and from young pigs. They have smaller, thinner bones and more, sweeter, tender meat. Loin back ribs (often marketed as baby backs) will often run 2.5-3.5 lbs, and are from older, adult pigs and even overweights. The ribs will be larger with more bone-to-meat.

HTH - tom
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby tomwal » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:13 pm

BriCan wrote:
wheels wrote:Thanks BriCan.

Just a thought -- are you (over there) still doing 'bacon ribs'? and is there any meat left on theses days?

If so I would be using them (not as bacon ribs but just as ribs)

HTH

Bacon ribs are still eaten in abundance in NW England, the liqour used after cooking with carrot, onion and celery, and anything else you would like to throw in, is often used to make bacon an lentil soup, or with a ham hock, split peas for pea and ham soup. Collar bacon, as Phil mentioned is also still widely available in the NW, I prefer it as it seems to retain a lot more flavour, or as was previously asked about it's "baconyness" it would be collar everytime for me, Phil, it's still sold in Morrisons, pre-packed though.

Wal
tomwal
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:30 pm

Saw this style of beef ribs on an Australian cooking show about Argentinian food
Looks excellent obviously beef ribs and a band saw are needed
yummmmm
http://www.casaescobar.com.gt/los-conqu ... o-de-tira/
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby Vindii » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:51 pm

So you really can't go in a local store and buy spare ribs or loin ribs in the UK? Thats crazy to me.
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Many thanks all for the trouble you've taken to give such comprehensive replies.

Vindii wrote:So you really can't go in a local store and buy spare ribs or loin ribs in the UK? Thats crazy to me.

Yes, we can buy them over here but the ones I saw were over £5 per kg. I can buy whole belly at £2.49/kg from the local wholesale store. If that gives me ribs plus some meat to put in sausage I'll not only be getting it half price, but also have the bonus of sausage as well. :D :D

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:08 pm

If you are not used to removing the membrane, try lifting it from the second rib on the short side using the back of a knife blade then use your fingers from there.

One time a friend asked me why I removed the membrane, I handed it to him and asked him to show me how to cook it and make it taste good. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Vindii » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:37 pm

wheels wrote:Many thanks all for the trouble you've taken to give such comprehensive replies.

Vindii wrote:So you really can't go in a local store and buy spare ribs or loin ribs in the UK? Thats crazy to me.

Yes, we can buy them over here but the ones I saw were over £5 per kg. I can buy whole belly at £2.49/kg from the local wholesale store. If that gives me ribs plus some meat to put in sausage I'll not only be getting it half price, but also have the bonus of sausage as well. :D :D

Phil

So the local wholesaler does just sell the ribs too?
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:19 pm

NCPaul wrote:If you are not used to removing the membrane, try lifting it from the second rib on the short side using the back of a knife blade then use your fingers from there... :D

I lift a corner of the membrane like that, and then grip that corner with a towel to pull the membrane away. Much better grip.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Next

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing