thoughts on this?

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

thoughts on this?

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:01 am

Hi guys,

I have been passed a link to a 'chorizo' recipe by a freind and asked for my thoughts;

Wondered what you lot had to say -

7.5kg pork
1.5kg beef
240g salt
24g saltpetre
20g ground black pepper
10g nutmeg
10g hot chilli powder
40g paprika
280g mild chilli powder
100ml olive oil
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Re: thoughts on this?

Postby wheels » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:05 pm

They'll keep well! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :shock:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vagreys » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:35 pm

From what planet?
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:34 pm

Tomas, it has been pointed out that there may have been a decimal point lost somewhere on the cure :shock: .
What are your thoughts on the rest of it?
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:00 am

It might be an interesting recipe, but not a chorizo in the traditional sense of the word, neither Spanish or Latin American. Depending on what is meant by chili powder (blend of spices vs varietal chili pepper), the flavor profile will be vastly different. Need to run this through my recipe analyzer, after a little sleep.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:00 am

Ok, my thoughts are these;

I cannot say what it would taste like as I haven't made it so that would be unfair.

If I was to make it that decimal point would need moving back, but in fact given that this would be a (albeit relatively quick) dry cure I would be tempted to go cure2 rather than saltpetre anyway.

Without prejudice to the first point and not wanting to judge a book by its cover etc, it still wouldn't make it to the list of 'ooh, would like to try that' before al lot of others waiting patiently.

I do not recognise any heritage in the recipe, as you say Tomas, from either Spain or Latin America (the chilli powder is just generic 'chilli powder')

It strikes me it has been formulated to 'look' like a Spanish style chorizo rather than 'be' one.

If anyone does makes this I would genuinely love to hear how it tastes (and PLEASE, only do the 'ten times less' cure!)
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:22 pm

FWIW, Looks like it's a recipe from that Le Charcutier Anglais guy.

http://charcutieranglais.blogspot.com/2 ... eetho.html

~Martin
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:29 pm

:shock: Martin, thanks. It came to me through a different website source, but you appear to be correct.

More concerning is that this recipe seems to suggest that the saltpetre amount is intended (and a warning that it may be over the legally allowed amount is all that is required!)

He has a good reputation and teaches a lot so its a little bit of a surprise.
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:17 pm

FWIW, I use Cayenne pepper in my ASDA chorizo clone - but, of course, I'm not trying to make a real chorizo: just imitate what theirs is like and it's only a small amount in relation to the paprika.

I'm assuming that the powder is straight ground chilli, rather than a US style mix?

I too am surprised that it's one of Marc-Frederic's recipes.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:27 pm

Doh! I must be going daft in my old-age. I should have known that it was Marc-Frederic; after all I must have already seen this recipe as the first comment on it was made by me:

http://charcutieranglais.blogspot.com/2 ... howComment\0751297456659034#c8088411399638046615

I've only realised when I clicked on the info name and in the profile saw the details of a friend in Devon!
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:24 pm

small world :)

especially when you bump into yourself Phil!
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:02 pm

OK, having had a little sleep, and reading the marc-frederic blog, here's my analysis. Percentages are percent of meat block with added fat/oil, assuming 80/20 pork, and 85/15 beef, since no discussion of fat is offered.

7.5kg pork
1.5kg beef

Assumptions yield an inherent fat content of 18.9560% fat. Add the olive oil and total fat becomes 20.0549%.

240g salt - 2.6374%
24g saltpetre - 0.2637% (2637 ppm potassium nitrate, intended)
20g ground black pepper - 0.2198%
10g nutmeg - 0.1099%
10g hot chilli powder - 0.1099%
40g paprika - 0.4396%
280g mild chilli powder - 3.0769%
100ml olive oil - 1.0989%

Assuming generic chili powders (blends), the powders are almost always a blend of ground chili (usually ancho, sometimes a blend of ancho, New Mexico, pasilla, etc.), salt, cumin, garlic powder/salt, and oregano. Salt-free blends drop the salt, use garlic powder, and may include small amounts of some other spices, including coriander, nutmeg and cloves, maybe cinnamon, etc. Hot chili powder usually includes cayenne or other hot chili like chipotle or serrano. Given that the amounts of black pepper and nutmeg are very small, the flavor profile would be much more like chili seasoning, and not at all like a dried chorizo. I agree that it would look like a chorizo, but the flavor would be entirely different.

I've never used an unsaturated oil in a sausage, and I have no idea how it would affect things. And from his blog, yes, you could add some Tabasco sauce, and it would add some spice, but it's just another indication that the sausage itself has little in common with the name. This might or might not be a good sausage, but from the approach, demonstrated lack of concern about the nitrate levels, disregard for the actual styles, it comes across less as creative, and more as careless, but that's just me.

Having looked at the recipe and the blog, I can say that his book will not be on my must-have list.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:11 pm

thanks Tomas, what do you think would be a better description of this?

fresh, it would be some sort of hot(tish) link?
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:29 pm

I do not know Marc, but I know he is well respected, including by some guys I respect greatly myself.

He advises a lot of folks and has a history in, mainly fresh/wet, charcuterie I understand.

Maybe we are too fussy, but still....
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:15 pm

I'm probably too fussy, so nevermind me; besides, my opinion is only worth what you paid for it! :D As a fresh sausage, I think probably it would be a little flat, and could use a little spark. Cut the salt and chili powder, add a little lime zest, chopped fresh, ripe habañero, and call it a chili-lime sausage. Cook it up in a pot of beans, slice it up and serve it over beans and rice, with a good, cold Pilsner. Don't know what I'd consider it as a dried sausage. 8)

Also, I do apologize to anyone I've offended who holds marc-frederic in esteem. I don't know him and am only responding to what I read poking around his blog. I could be, and am frequently, wrong.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Next

Return to Recipes for cured meats