Maple bacon recipe required.

Introductions and chatter

Maple bacon recipe required.

Postby yotmon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:11 am

Just a quick one. I opened a can of maple syrup for pancakes last Tuesday and there is quite a bit left. This weekend I managed to get a 2.5kg boneless Pork loin so have decided to combine the two into Maple flavoured bacon. I want to dry cure the pork (obviously the syrup is wet) so anybody got a decent recipe ? Also, seeing as I'm not familiar with using the syrup with bacon curing, is the flavour suitable for using in a 'full English' without dominating the dish. I was also thinking of cold smoking it after curing so is this recommended or does it effect the flavour.

Thanks Ste.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: Maple bacon recipe required.

Postby Dingo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:13 pm

Hi Yotman...i dont have a specific recipe for you..however I am in the middle of a maple canadian bacon right now. I brined it using a bourbon/molassis mixture for 14 days, then rinsed and covered with maple syrup and some spices then vac packed it for a further 7 days. I'll then hot smoke it without rinsing the maple off.
HTH
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:56 pm

I prefer it smoked, however it wouldn't be my choice for a 'full English'.

...but I'm sure that many others would!

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ComradeQ » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:45 pm

I use my maple bacon all the time for full english breakfasts. I would definitely recommend smoking it but you have to be careful to use a light smoke and a mild wood (sugar maple or cherry work great). Too much smoke just over powers the subtle maple flavour. Also, I recommend using maple sugar AND maple syrup if you have the sugar available ... it increases the maple flavour.

In case you wanted to try the recipe I use it is here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10819

I replaced some of the salt with more sugar as I prefer it less salty. I suppose you can adjust a little if you would rather have that heavy saltiness but this way is "better" for you and it tastes great. I have done this with loins as well even though the recipe is for streaky belly bacon, it will work fine. If you don't have maple sugar I suggest brown or demerara sugar for the richer flavour it brings.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks all - will be busy tonight curing the said loin but decided to cut it in half and do a 'traditional' piece as well as the maple one just in case It doesn't suit. I suppose a couple of pound to try it out will do the job.

Thanks again. Ste.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:33 am

wheels wrote:I prefer it smoked, however it wouldn't be my choice for a 'full English'.

Phil

Totally agree on this (cold smoked), even though I make a ton of the stuff ... BLT's maybe?? ..... and only use streaky cuz it holds up better :)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:55 am

To be honest, I always prefer to use a belly for making bacon - I am indeed a fat lover :D However, the loins were on offer this weekend at the market and managed to pick up half a loin for a fiver :P . I'd had the can of maple syrup in for about 8 years, it was part of a pancake making set given to me by a relative living in Maine. I decided to open it for 'pancake Tuesday' (probably the only day of the year I make them) but i've still got at least 3/4 of a can left. This is were the method in the madness was conceived.

I'll have a go and see what I think of it and report back accordingly. Looks like we may be having more pancakes this week to use up the rest of the syrup :drool:

ATB Ste.
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:10 am

Pancakes only once a year? :shock: There is a thread on pancakes on the forum that I started somewhere that had a few good options for you.
Here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10785&hilit=pancakes
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby johngaltsmotor » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:16 pm

Wonders never cease, I figured Pancake Tuesday was just a made up holiday for certain restaurants to drum up business. I never would have guessed that it was an international event.
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Return to Chatter