Spanish Chorizo recipe

Recipes for all sausages

Spanish Chorizo recipe

Postby herjac » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:22 pm

We made a paella recently and used store bought dried Spanish style chorizo. We were not impressed with the sausage, it had very little flavor.

I would like to make a fresh spicy Spanish style chorizo sausage. I haven't had success finding any on this site. Can anyone help here??
herjac
Registered Member

Re: Spanish Chorizo recipe

Postby vagreys » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:03 pm

Jeff Weiss' new book, Charcutería: The Soul of Spain, has just been released in the US, and would be worth taking a look at. Hasn't been released in Canada, yet. Also, Penelope Casas' book, The Foods and Wines of Spain, has some fresh sausage recipes in it that would work well with paella.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby EnriqueB » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:46 am

I am also waiting for the new Weiss book, preordered it some months ago.

I have just published a recipe of fresh chorizo in my blog: http://dorarnosella.com/2014/03/13/chor ... co-casero/, it is in Spanish, but I should open a new thread here today to explain a recent experiment I've made with fresh chorizo, stay tuned.

By the way, putting chorizo in a paella is considered quite a bad practice by authentic paella makers ;-)
EnriqueB
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Towards the bottom of page 2 of this string - I had made one of the Chorizo recipes from Jeff's book last year (and again this year). I can't say I know what authentic or great Chorizo should taste like - what I can tell you is this was one of the best salami's I have ever made. Having gotten a look at some of the book and recipes well before publication I have no doubt it will give you that and more.

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10897&start=15
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby thankswayne » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:35 am

I also enjoy making Paella, especially after a trip to the beach, returning with fresh shrimp and blue crab. I haven't found a commercially available Spanish Chorizo that I was happy I bought, so I make my own smoked version. The smoky overtones of garlic and cloves adds a unique flavor to the dish. So, if you have a smoker, here's a great recipe for 5 lbs.
2 TBL Plain Salt
1 tsp cayenne. I buy mine heat rated, and use 90K. (www.atlanticspice.com)
1 tsp coarse black pepper
.5 tsp cloves powder
.25 tsp nutmeg powder
.5 tsp dried parsley flakes
.5 tsp Mediterranean Oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
.25 CUP Paprika (either Spanish or Hungarian)
1 tsp #1 pink curing salt (Prague powder)

Grind whole boston butts using fine grinding plate. In a blender, add 2 cups water and ice, and spice ingredients. Blend well. Pour into meat mixture and mix well until all fat is distributed evenly and spice marinade is fully absorbed. Stuff tightly into casings, about 18"-24" long, leaving 2-3" empty casing on each end. Tie into a sausage ring. Hang in smoker until casings are dry. Then, apply heavy smoke and smoke until internal temp reaches 152 degrees. Remove and chill immediately with ice cold water to reduce shrinkage and allow to bloom to final color. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.

Enjoy!
thankswayne
Registered Member

Postby fishontc » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:53 pm

This is my Basque Family Recipe, I've been making my whole life.

2½ lbs Pork Shoulder
½ lbs Pork Fat Back
½ cup Spanish Onion diced fine
¼ cup minced Garlic
½ cup Sweet Spanish or Hungarian Paprika
¼ cup Chili Powder
2 tsp ground Cayenne Pepper
4 Tb Red Pepper Flakes
4 Tb Red Wine
4 tsp Kosher Salt
2 tsp Sugar
T tsp coarsely ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Curing Salts dissolved in 1 cup Water, (Optional)

Grind the Pork and Fat Back through a ⅜” Plate. In large bowl, combine all ingredients, and mix well, skip the Curing Salts if you are going to cook immediately or hot smoke. Make sure all ingredients are thoroughly blended.

Stuff into medium Hog casings and tie into 10” lengths, or leave in bulk. If you added the Curing Salts to the recipe, you can air dry the Sausages in a cool place for two to three weeks. If you wish to hot smoke the Sausages, cook until an internal temperature of 155°. Chorizo will keep either way for two weeks in a refrigerator or up to six months in a freezer.
fishontc
Newly Registered

Postby wheels » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:34 pm

Thanks for posting this. It's great to see a recipe with a true link to an area.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:26 am

Welcome to the forums Fishontc, and thanks for the recipe.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby JohnT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:33 pm

fishontc wrote:This is my Basque Family Recipe, I've been making my whole life.

2½ lbs Pork Shoulder
½ lbs Pork Fat Back
¼ cup minced Garlic
¼ cup Chili Powder
4 Tb Red Pepper Flakes
4 Tb Red Wine
4 tsp Kosher Salt
2 tsp Sugar

Grind the Pork and Fat Back through a ⅜” Plate. In large bowl, combine all ingredients, and mix well, skip the Curing Salts if you are going to cook immediately or hot smoke. Make sure all ingredients are thoroughly blended.

Stuff into medium Hog casings and tie into 10” lengths, or leave in bulk. If you added the Curing Salts to the recipe, you can air dry the Sausages in a cool place for two to three weeks. If you wish to hot smoke the Sausages, cook until an internal temperature of 155°. Chorizo will keep either way for two weeks in a refrigerator or up to six months in a freezer.

Sorry for a late reply to this post! The recipe says "¼ cup chilli powder" – is this correct? If I use 1 teaspoon chilli powder, it will burn twice and survearly! A ¼ cup of the stuff to the quantity meat is going to make the chorizo inedible! Your chilli powder is obviously some type of mild chilli and I cannot see this being correct for the average powder. Or am a wrong?
JohnT
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:15 pm

John T, I believe that this may refer to US style Chili powder which contains only a small amount of chilli.

I use this mix;

Cumin Powder 2 teaspoon
Garlic Granulated 2 teaspoon
Cayenne Pepper 1 teaspoon
Paprika Powder 3 teaspoon
Oregano – Dried 1 teaspoon

Perhaps one of our US members could post the ingredients from a pack of their chili for a more accurate description?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby JohnT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:51 pm

Thanks wheels. I then also take it that "curing salt" refers to cure #1 and the temperature the member posted is °F.

It would be nice for people posting in the forums actually filled in there location in the provided area of their profile. They do not have to give a city, but a country and province would help to try and decypher some of the info they supply but do not type up correctly!

John
JohnT
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:26 pm

I'm only guessing that that's the case, but if it's not it'd be flamin' hot. Temp is certainly F and the cure looks about the correct amount for cure #1

HTH
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Davea » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:41 am

fishontc wrote:This is my Basque Family Recipe, I've been making my whole life.

2½ lbs Pork Shoulder
½ lbs Pork Fat Back
¼ cup minced Garlic
¼ cup Chili Powder
4 Tb Red Pepper Flakes
4 Tb Red Wine
4 tsp Kosher Salt
2 tsp Sugar

Hi all,
I'd really like to make this and air dry rather than hot smoke.
I do not have a curing chamber and assume that hanging in the fridge is not safe- is this correct?
If this is the case then in what situation would be safe?

Many thanks in anticipation of your replies
Dave
Davea
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:16 am

You can make this and dry in your fridge provided you use lamb casings:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12580
I would use cure # 1 and not bother with dissolving it in a cup of water. I would also consider using a culture and adding some dextrose as food.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Davea » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:02 pm

Many thanks for your reply.
This is where I have more questions!

1) Why lambs's casings?
2)Why use culture?

Perhaps this where I need to read a book to understand the processes involved.Can anyone recommend one to get me started?
Davea
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Recipes