Hygrometer (humidity sensor) Advice Needed

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Hygrometer (humidity sensor) Advice Needed

Postby johnnycurewell » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:09 am

Hi people

I intend to construct my very first curing chamber soon! I've been researching the subject and thankfully everything's making sense so far.

Having already purchased a digital thermostat, and with a digital hygrostat (hopefully) on the way, I now need to get my hands on a hygrometer.

I understand it's pretty vital to be able to asses accurate humidity readings within the curing chamber. Unfortunately I possess precisely zero knowledge in this area, so was hoping for any reliable advice, suggestions, recommendations, etc that people may have.

I'm thinking definitely keep things digital, and a remote / wireless device also seems practical, so that readings can be made without having to open the chamber (fridge) door - and I guess it also means one less hole needing to be drilled! However, as previously stated, I have absolutely no experiences with hygrometers, so any help is most appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

(Presumably I've posted this in the right place....)
johnnycurewell
Registered Member

Re: Hygrometer (humidity sensor) Advice Needed

Postby ericrice » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:23 pm

For this and some other questions you may ask in the future - it's always helpful to know your location. I got one with the ability to have up to 3 sensors. I have separate areas for fermenting, short term initial curing at higher humidity and lastly the long term curing room so I went with 3 sensors. In all honesty I did have to send the first order back as I couldn't get them to operate/sync properly. But based on the cost and some of the positive reviews I decided to give them another shot with a replacement. No issues with the replacements and they have worked just fine for me this year.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y2CQYY/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby johnnycurewell » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:41 am

Good point about the location. Well buying in the UK works best for me, typically using Amazon and Ebay, however I'm generally based in SE Asia (which is where the hygrometer will be used).

From what I can see, options for gadgets in the lower price range - under £50/$80 - are limited to either multi-purpose 'weather stations' or devices used for keeping reptiles. I'm thinking maybe go down the so-called weather station route, with the multiple sensor option used by yourself, as this could be useful in the future.

Thanks for the input :)
johnnycurewell
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:29 pm

You could buy an Arduino processor (under a tenner on Ebay for a clone). There are lots of low cost humidity and temperature sensors available, all it needs extra is a LCD display and a few lines of code. It would be easy and cheap to implement a dual sensor / dual temperature device and the software is very user-friendly. You could extend it to control a heater / cooler and a humidifier / dehumidifier with a relay board.

If/when I change my kit that's the way to go.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby johnnycurewell » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:47 pm

Haha, well the fact that I had to google "Arduino processor" probably tells you everything you need to know about me and electronics :oops: I'll just have to have a go at tackling the already complicated looking wiring using the thermostat and hygrostat that I've purchased.

Regarding hygrometers, I've decided to buy both a 'weather station' (wireless) and a cheap single purpose gadget to compare readings.

Fingers crossed….
johnnycurewell
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies