Stuffer Capacity

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Stuffer Capacity

Postby taprobane » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:52 am

Hi,
I'm a newbie here and this is my first post (I'm a long retired Butcher) and hoping to find some help in selecting a vertical stuffer for home use, I have retired to Sri Lanka and want to get back to making my own fresh sausages as we cannot buy them here.

Thinking of a 3ltr or 5ltr unit, but have been unable to find any info on the amount of sausage meat each of these will hold. (metric weight, Kg & gms)
Any help please.

Colin
taprobane
Registered Member

Re: Stuffer Capacity

Postby yotmon » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:50 am

Hi Taprobane, welcome to the forum. I believe that with metric measurements it works out as approx 3lts = 3kgs and 5lts = 5kgs. So in 'old money' a 3lt will hold approx 6.5lb and the 5lt will hold approx 11.5 lb.
If I'm wrong then hopefully somebody will be along to correct me.

Hope this helps. Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby herjac » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:09 pm

A 3 liter stuffer will hold 2 kg of meat. http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/F ... uffer.html.

I have a 5 lb stuffer and the measured capacity is 2.44 liter but because of the volume required for the piston, the practical capacity is 2 kg or 4.4 lbs.
herjac
Registered Member

Postby taprobane » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:15 am

Many thanks for that info, I now know I will need to buy a 5ltr model.
just have to remember how to make my old best sellers!
taprobane
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:54 pm

yotmon wrote:Hi Taprobane, welcome to the forum. I believe that with metric measurements it works out as approx 3lts = 3kgs and 5lts = 5kgs. So in 'old money' a 3lt will hold approx 6.5lb and the 5lt will hold approx 11.5 lb.
If I'm wrong then hopefully somebody will be along to correct me.

Hope this helps. Yotmon.

This is certainly true for water; however, meat does not have the same density and mass as water. I've often wondered about the meat volume-to-mass equivalents for sausage stuffers, myself. Good to know.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Return to Beginners