Cheers guys.

Introductions and chatter

Cheers guys.

Postby yotmon » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:20 pm

Just a quick one to say thanks on here for so much info that allows someone like me to try out new things.

Last weekend I picked up 3 large Rainbow trout (50cm) so decided to cold smoke one of them. I'd done Haddock before and that had turned out really well. So after filleting the fish I cured it for 6 hours in a simple mix of salt and sugar. Rinsed it off and placed the fillets in the fridge overnight. Next day I cold smoked them using the 'whisky oak' dust supplied with the CSG. Gave it a full burn plus another half burn later. Again placed in the fridge overnight ready for tasting the next day. Well, it doesn't get any better than this. It really was tasty and even though I say it myself - quite Professional ! I was having reservations that it might be too salty or too smokey, but no - it was spot on.
The Trout can now be put on the list with the bacon, Ham, sausages and butter I have been regularly making since joining the forum.
Thanks again and keep up the good work. Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: Cheers guys.

Postby taprobane » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:18 am

Hi Yotman, having smoked large Rainbow Trout for many years, I have found that as the size of the sides always vary so the best guide for how long to smoke for is to monitor total weight loss.
I always weigh the side before the brining and look for an 18% weight loss after smoking if there’s less than that then the side needs need to smoke more.
I always leave smoked sides in the fridge for 24 hours after smoking.
The natural comparison is to cold smoked salmon and we think it's even better!
I use a plain 80% wet brine, have tried adding sugar and other flavours I have found the plain brine works best for me and my prefered smoke is beech dust.
taprobane
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:25 am

Weight loss of around 18% is also required to ensure a safe product when cold smoking. So the above advice is excellent.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:20 am

I can't even think of all the things I've made because of this forum, and mostly succeeded. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Chatter