Rusk in a microwave??

The place to swap commercial recipes, techniques etc.

Rusk in a microwave??

Postby EdwinT » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi All,

I have a small commercial concern that is growing in terms of sausage volume sales and production. We are struggling to keep up with making rusk at home as we can not find anyone to make it commercially. At present we are making around 30kg of rusk (wheat flour 1kg, water 0.5kg and baking powder mix 0.040kg) in our domestic oven each week. and we find it takes about half an hour of mixing/baking per kg of flour.

I was thinking to try to make it in a microwave oven as it (in theory) could speed up the process. Has anyone tried to make rusk in microwave oven before? Is it worth investigating? We are cash poor, so I don't want to lay out for a microwave without advice or trying it first.
EdwinT
Registered Member

Re: Rusk in a microwave??

Postby BriCan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:40 am

If you are making 30kg of Rusk each week I would myself be looking at importing from the UK

For me to buy Rusk this side of the pond cost me within a few cents $100

To buy the same product ... landed ... and in my shop/warehouse from the UK .. all in .. for $38

by the way ... I'm cash poor as well :cry:

at a quick calculation of the way I use Rusk you must be making 680kg of sausage a week :shock:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby EdwinT » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi Brican,

How much rusk do you get for your $38? .... and where do you order it from?

|I don't make 680kg of sausages just yet, there are some burgers which use more than the sausages. But I hope to be expanding towards a 1000kg/week by the end of 2014 if all goes well. ... which it normally doesn't ;-)
EdwinT
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:23 am

Rusk is essentially making a large soda cracker (well bread, but thoroughly dried). I haven't seen a microwave recipe that works for a product that is baked until dry, like a cracker or biscotti. That's just me. Rather than a microwave, I'd be looking for a used commercial convection oven.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:48 pm

Given the recipe, could you not get a local bakery to make it?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby EdwinT » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:30 pm

Phil,

I have tried dozens of them and there is nobody interested. They think I am crazy. May be I am, but it's no excuse for them.
EdwinT
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:09 pm

What about doing the initial mix yourself and then using their ovens for a small fee. Save the cost of purchasing/installing a professional oven. In places like Greece it used to be a common thing to utilise the residual heat of the towns bakery oven by having your meals taken there to be cooked ( for a donation). Or, what if you put in an order for something like a dozen loaves of yeast-less bread using a rising agent I'm sure one of the bakers would be happy to oblige. Lots of luck. Yotmon.

Ps - I tried 50gms of flour with 100g of water, pinch of baking powder and cream of tartare in the microwave for 2.5 mins - turned into a brick, when I grated it, it reduced to a fine powder. Re-hydrated it but stayed tacky - birds in the garden seemed to like it. :roll: As Bri-Can says, probably easier to import from Uk. Most wholesalers sell for around £25 sack - 25 kilos. (9238 Forint ) depending on exchange rate plus postage.

Try Scobies, they export as far as Cameroon so should include Hungary. http://www.scobiesdirect.com/Products.a ... 26+Oatmeal
Hope this helps. Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Return to For food service professionals, chefs, butchers etc.