Home made outdoor Tandoor with pics

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Home made outdoor Tandoor with pics

Postby kimgary » Sat May 03, 2014 10:14 am

Well, with help from my son I have made a outdoor Tandoor oven, just needs a thin collar of mortar around the top and then a nice decorative brick enclosure around it.

https://imageshack.com/i/nfoeiaj

https://imageshack.com/i/n70n6vj

https://imageshack.com/i/nax3h8j
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Re: Home made outdoor Tandoor with pics

Postby wheels » Sat May 03, 2014 11:49 am

That looks superb, was it easy to do?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Sat May 03, 2014 1:13 pm

Hi Kimgary, what have you used in the base of the fire pit, are they fire bricks ?
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Sat May 03, 2014 2:29 pm

Hi Phil,

If you can use a small angle grinder and a saw its easy.

The blocks in the bottom are light weight blocks such as celcon/ thermalite, i picked up from wickes.

Place some blocks on the ground and place drum on them, mark round, mark another circle 15mm in and use that as cutting guide.

You can cut them to shape with a handsaw but I find a bow type tree saw the best and the blades are cheap though you will only need 1 for this job.

Place cut blocks in the bottom, the other blocks cut into 4 so each one is 110mm wide.

Get plant pot, mine was from b & Q £7.99, cut the bottom off with andle grinder 25mm down
keep base as lid.

Place pot centrally on blocks inside drum with original pot top end down, mark round, take note of heght of pot from base remove pot add the 100mm for block depth, make mark on drum at the height and angle grind drum through.

Using the blocks you cut, place them around theline about 10-15mm more into the centre, place them on end so they are300mm high but use the 100mm face pointing to the inside, leave a gap about 100mm wide between the last 2, place the upside down flower pot on the blocks and adjust as required. where you left the gap cut a slot in the outer drum in line with it for ventilation and fire access, cut a bit of block to go across the top of the blocks either side of the opening to stop in fill going down.
Carefully tip a bag of sharp sand around the blocks and tamp down gently, fill the rest up with vermiculite, tamping down as you go and put a thin mortar collar around the top.

Regards

Gary

Thanks for the thumbs up, cost :D

oil drum Free
1 bag sand £ 1.39
7 blocks £9.73
flower pot £7.99
edge trim £2.30
vermiculite £ 9.00 ( 1/2 bag -50 litres/ 100l bag £17.99 from Jewsons, cheapest i could find)
cement £0.00 left over bit from other work)

TOTAL £30.41
PS
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat May 03, 2014 3:24 pm

Wow, that's cheap. It's on my to-do list.

Many thanks

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby kimgary » Sat May 03, 2014 3:57 pm

A friend of mine has done one, its slightly different but his photo diary of it is far better than mine, I have his permission to share his photos, thanks Stuart.

A picture paints a 1000 words and all that

Regards
Gary.
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby Tasso » Sat May 03, 2014 6:12 pm

Good job, Gary. I made one very much like yours. I really enjoy mine, as I'm sure you will enjoy yours. They are a pure pleasure to cook in.
Tasso
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Sun May 04, 2014 7:12 am

Looks excellent
Does it heat up over time (the thermal mass) or do you just start cooking when the coals begin to glow and it works like a giant chimney relying on hot air rising?
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Sun May 04, 2014 7:40 am

It needs to heat up Snags, about 30 - 40 mins, have not done a full burn yet but expect to see 400 degrees c

Cheers Gazza.
kimgary
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general