Corn syrup solids

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Corn syrup solids

Postby senorkevin » Thu May 15, 2014 3:35 pm

I have a recipe for corn syrup solids, however, when I checked on the internet what it is, it said that it is not suitable for diabetics or people with corn allergies. I would imagine that dextrose would be the same of diabetics.
Could I substitute corn syrup solids of something else?
An Englishman living in México.
There'e not such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid answer!
senorkevin
Registered Member

Re: Corn syrup solids

Postby vagreys » Thu May 15, 2014 9:43 pm

I'm not diabetic, but it seems to me that it would depend on how and why the corn syrup solids are in the sausage. If the corn syrup solids are in a fermented sausage recipe, then they will almost certainly be intended as food for the bacteria in the fermentation, and will be consumed by the bacteria and turned into lactic acid by the time the fermentation is complete. If this is the case, then the residual solids, if any, would have minimal effect on a diabetic (assuming a normal serving). I would avoid adding corn syrup solids, myself, if the sausage is not fermented and the purpose of the corn syrup solids is to sweeten the mixture.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Re: Corn syrup solids

Postby senorkevin » Fri May 16, 2014 12:49 am

It is for fermented sausage. Anyway I live in mexico and I dont think anyone has a corn allergies!
An Englishman living in México.
There'e not such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid answer!
senorkevin
Registered Member

Return to Beginners