Weisswurst texture

Introductions and chatter

Weisswurst texture

Postby johngaltsmotor » Fri May 30, 2014 8:19 pm

I've been thinking of trying a batch of weisswurst soon, but I've got a question before I do....
On one of my trips to Germany for work, a local colleague took me to a Bavarian restaurant and one of the courses we had included weisswurst.
My question has to do with texture. Every recipe I've seen shows it as an emulsion. But what I had wasn't like a white hot dog. It didn't break in clean surfaces like everything emulsion I've had or made. It didn't seem that dense.
I'm not sure if that was a less than stellar batch (as far as texture)? Or is there a deviation in the realm of weisswurst that is perhaps a blend of emulsion and fine ground but un-emulsified meat?

I'm not saying that I'd be disappointed in a full emulsion version. I'm more wondering if there's a hidden technique only spoken in hush tones in foreign tongues? (and if so, is there anyone willing to share that secret in English?)
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Re: Weisswurst texture

Postby NCPaul » Fri May 30, 2014 8:40 pm

I think you can see the texture in a picture I posted in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7641&hilit=weisswurst

It's not a fine emulsion like a hot dog. I followed the instructions in the Ruhlman and Polcyn book. One of my favorites. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby johngaltsmotor » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:34 pm

Thanks Paul. Even in the raw state I can see this is different from my previous emulsions.
But technically this is still an emulsion? Or a partial emulsion? Or just a really abused forcemeat? :-D
Not that it makes a difference, just want to learn the lingo so I sound smart(er than I am).
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:40 pm

The Maranski books describe the emulsion as a fat surrounded by a solution of water and protein. So it is not necessary to reduce the meat and fat down to small particles as in hot dogs, the emulsion is course (larger?). I think the extraction of the myosin and the addition of NFDM provide the protein for the added water in the weisswurst. I've seen the emulsion look as if it was just about to break as the last of the water is added to the mixture (I used all pork in that batch). If the emulsion breaks, it will look like water splashing around with sausage meat. Watch the mixture carefully when adding the water in case there is not enough protein to bind it all.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:52 pm

...and cold, cold, cold!
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johngaltsmotor » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:04 pm

So too much water will make it want to break also?
My only emulsions so far have been successful versions of Wheels' Mortadella using the food processor. Temperature wasn't a problem as even the portion that got trapped between the blade post and the body of the processor bowl (and got processed multiple times) never got hot enough to break.
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:29 pm

Well, it only took me a year to finally get around to it... Thanks to your reassurance guys this turned out great.
With the amount of liquid between the milk and eggs this was much easier to emulsify than the mortadella I did. The KitchenAid mixer did a fine job. I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm confident, but I'm less afraid of emulsifying now.
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:08 pm

I figured if there's no photos there's no proof. So here's the proof that you were right :-D Thanks again.
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:01 pm

They look great. :D Perfect for a mid-morning snack.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby johngaltsmotor » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:04 pm

Yeah, only problem was I was so excited to taste them... that I forgot to poke the air pockets and make them all pretty (as you can see by the 4th up from the bottom in the middle has a whopper of a void). Oh well, that just means they're healthier right? Diet sausage because it has air in it? :-D
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby This Little Piggy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:36 pm

If you want to delve deeper into the subject of the so-called emulsified sausages, you can check out the article on myosin in the Salt Cured Pig's Porkopedia:

http://thesaltcuredpig.com/Porkopedia/i ... tle=Myosin

Technically, weisswurst and other finely comminuted meat mixes are not true emulsions and only differ from other sausages in the size to which the particles have been reduced. The finer the particles, the more myosin or other protein you need to hold the liquid and fat in suspension.

Just wish I had some of their weisswurst on my plate!
"Nothing exceeds like excess."

<a href="http://www.thislittlepiggy.us" target="_blank">This Little Piggy's blog</a>
This Little Piggy
Registered Member

Return to Chatter