How To Butcher A Pig.(The Ultimate Pig Butchery Video).

How To Butcher A Pig.(The Ultimate Pig Butchery Video).

Postby yotmon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:06 pm

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: How To Butcher A Pig.(The Ultimate Pig Butchery Video).

Postby johngaltsmotor » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:36 pm

That's impressive, both the quality of that pork and the mastery of the butcher. I must be too much of a perfectionist because that would have taken me twice as long. But he showed a great mastery of the anatomy to know how deep each cut should be to minimize meat left on the bone.
(Normally that would make me really hungry, but between a massive headache and the fact that I'm having a lunch of corned venison, carrots and cabbage I'm fine with the pure enjoyment of watching a master at work.)
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:31 am

Hi john, enjoy your lunch - sounds tasty !

He's done a few more videos covering Lamb, Venison, Sausage and Black pudding and they all seem very informative.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:56 am

Oh how I wish I lived nearer to Worcester, that meat looks superb.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:07 am

Meat looks great but too lean for me :(
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:04 pm

BriCan, I agree that it could have done with a tad more fat on it, but if it had then the rind would have to be removed to make it presentable nowadays. Half an inch of back-fat seems to be the limit theses days. If it was for curing then I would go for a larger pig with a good covering of back-fat.

Wheels, if you haven't already, look at the lamb he cuts up on one of his videos, a very good grade for today's standards. Plus, this time of year lamb usually starts to fall in price as the majority hit market weight. I've just looked on a friends website who has a certified organic farm and is selling their own Lamb loin chops @£12.50 per kilo, yet Tesco's price is £18.47 and not a patch on quality.
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:32 pm

Robert - presumably your pigs are larger? I think that he mentioned a side of 34kg (presumably dead-weight) that's only 75lb.

Yotman, as you say, Lamb prices should be dropping. There's no rhyme or reason to supermarket prices, one minute they're virtually giving meat away, then the next time you go in you need need a mortgage to buy anything.

I'd have thought that £12.50 for certified organic chops is a brilliant price. Standard local lamb around here is about £9/kg for chops, £5.51/kg for the side.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:22 pm

wheels wrote: There's no rhyme or reason to supermarket prices, one minute they're virtually giving meat away, then the next time you go in you need need a mortgage to buy anything.

Phil

I think that they are up to their old tricks of doubling prices a week or so before putting them on 'special offer'.

Legs of lamb are now being advertised at £5.50kg down from £11.00kg, yet they are almost always around the £5 mark. Same with their wines, I've seen crap bottles of french vin ordinaire going for £10.00 a bottle only to be on offer a week later for a fiver. We must look really thick and gullible to their marketing teams.....
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:42 pm

I suppose it's another reason to support your local traders. I try to buy local produce from local traders. If that's not possible, I try to buy UK produce.

When I did more curing and sausage-making I bought pork direct from the farmer - that way I could get a larger pig.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Books,videos,manuals etc.