what is safe mold

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

what is safe mold

Postby jpana » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:47 pm

Hi All,

I am making salami for the first time. I am using natural casings and curing in a wine fridge that has humidity control and temp control.

I have set to 12 degrees celcius and 75% humidity. However I notice after getting back from a week away that the humidity was over 85%. I fixed it immediately. Now about a week later i noticed that along with my white fluffy mold and chalky coating i have some green fluffy mold and a couple of spots of blackish brown mold.

I washed the salami down with white wine vinegar and put them back to keep curing... are they a failed batch or should they be ok?

I have a pic but am new to the forum and have no idea on how to add it in.
jpana
Registered Member

Re: what is safe mold

Postby Wunderdave » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:22 pm

fluffy green and black (ESPECIALLY BLACK) is a bad mold and will make your product unsafe to eat. make sure that the black spots aren't just black peppercorns showing through the skin.

You can post a pic by rehosting it to an upload site (try imgur.com) and then posting that link inside brackets that say img and /img respectively. Like this, except with no spaces: [ img ] [/ img ]
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby jpana » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:04 am

Hi,

Thank you for the response. Please see below image. Im sure its not the pepercorns. I have seen people with this mold and just clean with white wine vinegar and contine curing but im not sure i want to risk it.

I dont plan on dying over some salami.

thanks again

Mod: edited to correct embed code.
jpana
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:47 pm

I'd clean it off with vinegar, re-hang, and if the mold comes back, bin it.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby jpana » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:42 pm

That sounds like a great plan.

thanks heaps for the responses. :D
jpana
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:49 pm

I'd try to check that the black mould isn't more than 'casing deep'. That's the one that would really worry me.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners