Swampy black pudding

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Swampy black pudding

Postby nmash » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:05 am

Hi grunt grunt
I made a batch of black pudding using as follows
500 gms oats
500 gms pearl barley
250 gms back fat
250 gms dry blood
1 1/2 lts water
100 gms onion
selected herbs etc
15 gms salt

All went well stuffed hogs ok still in the dog house for having blood everywhere even on the ceiling
I cooked at 175 % 30 mins

The result after letting them set 24 hrs was
A lack of a salty taste which surprised me but worst was the texture swampy and softish rather than hard as commercials
Is there a simple fool proof recipe I could try as a bench mark ? then adjust as and when
Overall I am pleased as it is a 1st attempt (no bursts) good flavour(not too much kitchen rage) :roll: but I would like to improve
nmash
Registered Member

Re: Swampy black pudding

Postby onewheeler » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:43 pm

That's about 3 kg of black pud. 15 g of salt sounds a bit light, 30 g or more would be more normal as a starting point.

I suspect the sloppy texture may be lack of cooking time. 30 minutes isn't very long. I usually give mine about an hour at 80 C. Put them in plenty of pre-heated water, bring back to temperature and then try to maintain it. The lack of bursts might confirm that they'd not cooked for long enough! The amount of water sounds about right to me.

It's worth reconstituting the blood in quite warm water to speed things up. Blood temperature would be about right, or just a bit too hot to keep your hand in. Perhaps also worth soaking the pearl barley in the blood mix for a while to get it started. Was it fully swollen?

OVMD!

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:59 pm

The black puddings will rise to the surface when cooked. Did they rise to the surface before you removed them from the pot?
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby nmash » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:25 pm

Thanks for the prompt replies :)

I thought the salt level was a bit low,I will adjust as recommended I used cold water for the blood as well :roll:
Had to get the scuba gear out to retrieve them will cook for longer
I will try again the smell was just perfect
nmash
Registered Member

Return to Beginners