Unfashionable cuts of meat

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Re: Unfashionable cuts of meat

Postby RehctubUK » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:16 pm

That's a good 'un!
From looking at your location I wonder what you make of Gloucester old spot pork.
I have been offered in the past old spot pork but turned it down. As it's rare breed, I assume there's a premium to pay for such a thing. What's your view?
RehctubUK
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:56 pm

Old spot - nice breed, lots of tasty fat, usually a bit pricy round here but not excessively so, at least for small quantities for domestic use. I must ask my favourite butcher what breed his pork is, it's very good and not dear.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:05 pm

I used to buy GOS from a farmer. It's great meat.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby RehctubUK » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:11 am

Speaking of Bath Chaps, I took a telephone order for 2 to pick up Friday. They're not as unfashionable as they seem!
RehctubUK
Registered Member

Postby Swing Swang » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:08 pm

I'd better shut up, going right off topic and on one of my rants about crap food :roll:
I will just add this though, we have an abattoir nearby where smallholders send their animals and they're never sure what they get back!
One bloke used to grind his own pork for sausages he sells from his driveway, now he lets them do it and they're dreadful, last batch I tried had an eyelash in!
Another woman sent some goat there and it wasn't goat that came back!

Andy[/quote]

I find this quite concerning, but it's easy enough to resolve if animals are sent to the abattoir 'slap marked' on both sides (or on all four corners if you're really concerned) rather than with ear tags only; then you know what you're getting back is what you sent in, even if you you get a butcher to do your cutting for you. For those using ear tags only you'd need to insist that the carcasses are returned with the head still attached.
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cookery in general