Can pork go bad before it cures?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Can pork go bad before it cures?

Postby mrb68 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:14 am

Hello, this is my first attempting at making some bacon. I have used Prague powder #1 and am curing a 2kg pork loin this morning. I cut the piece into 2 x 1kg pieces that are 6 inches long. I just noticed the sell by date on the pack is today while I was tidying up. I'm estimating they will take 14 days to cure at 1 day per half inch plus 2. Will the meat start curing before it does bad? I'm thinking I should start again with fresher meat. Can anyone please advise me? Thanks
mrb68
Newly Registered

Re: Can pork go bad before it cures?

Postby yotmon » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi mrb68 and welcome to the forum. The 'sell by date' has nothing to do with the condition of the meat. it's either fresh or it isn't ! As long as the meat smelled and felt fresh before you started the cure, and during curing its kept at a temperature low enough to prevent bacterial growth then you won't have any problems. I don't think it will take 14 days to cure your bacon. The 1/2 inch calculation is for the thickness of the meat, not the length. personally I would have cured the pork as one piece, was there a reason for cutting it in half ?

HTH. yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby mrb68 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:05 am

Hi yotmon, thanks for your advice. The pork smelled and looked fresh before I started the cure. I'm relieved to know it won't deteriorate while it's curing in the fridge. I didn't really want to cut it in half but the bags I had weren't quite large enough. It looks like I should have my first bacon by the New Year. Can't wait to see how it comes out!
mrb68
Newly Registered

Postby NCPaul » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:49 am

Welcome to the forum. :D Remember to let us know how your bacon turned out.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:43 am

Hi mrb68,
I bet my short and curlies that it will cure OK. Smoking is a bit of trial and error, depending on your smoker but I assure you that it will taste a lot better than the crap sold, prepacked and sold in shops.
Butcher shops excluded of course!!!!!!!!!!! Post a few photo's if possible.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Return to Beginners