sous vide at lakeland.

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

sous vide at lakeland.

Postby kimgary » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:23 pm

Sous vide at Lakeland, half price £74.79.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Re: sous vide at lakeland.

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:37 pm

Nice find.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby kimgary » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:20 pm

Thanks Phil,
Have you delved much into sous vide?
Regards
Gary.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:23 pm

I have a controller for sous-vide that an electronics engineer friend built for me which I use with either my slow-cooker, or my bain-marie. I've only done steaks so far. I intend to get an aquarium air-pump to aid water circulation for a more even temperature throughout.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby kimgary » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:11 pm

Thats about all I have done Phil, same set up as you, I made a digital controller with a socket set up so that I can plug any appliance, slow cooker etc into it and accurately control temps.
Regards
Gary.
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:52 pm

What sort of things have you been cooking with it?

...and do you have anything to circulate the water?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby kimgary » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:04 pm

Hi Phil, Only steaks, same as you.
I do wonder if circulating the water is "overboard", especially with a slow cooker as the heat is well distributed across the base so should give good convection currents, when you consider the old style gravity central heating systems they worked ok on that principle.

With regards to circulating I would suggest a stirrer rather than a pump due to the heat.

I would make a simple frame to sit across the container,get hold of a microwave turntable motor, even one out of a old one from the local tip, they are 240v,high torque and very low rpm. They usually have a short "D" type shaft, extend that and put a simple stirrer on the end of the shaft, mount it to the frame and adjust the homemade shaft to the depth you require.
I would solder the wires to the motor contacts plus earthwire and encase them in silicon, just as a extra safety measure.

I may well have a go when time permits and post a series of photos.
Regards
Gary.
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:33 pm

Gary

It's not a pump as such: it just bubbles air into the liquid. The only bit in the hot liquid (or anywhere near it) would be the plastic pipe that the air comes out of.

The idea is that the air 'disturbs' the water, creating currents. However, as you say, convection should already be doing this.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby kimgary » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:27 pm

I'm with you now, air pump and stone.

Its been a long week!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:35 pm

I wanted one of these: http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/kitchen- ... lsrc=aw.ds

But I got it from Robert Dyas at a similar Price.

I'd never use it as a slow cooker, I wouldn't trust the non stick and to use it as a slow cooker you'd probably need to be cooking for 20 :)
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:48 pm

With regards to circulating I would suggest a stirrer rather than a pump due to the heat.

I would make a simple frame to sit across the container,get hold of a microwave turntable motor, even one out of a old one from the local tip, they are 240v,high torque and very low rpm. They usually have a short "D" type shaft, extend that and put a simple stirrer on the end of the shaft, mount it to the frame and adjust the homemade shaft to the depth you require.
I would solder the wires to the motor contacts plus earthwire and encase them in silicon, just as a extra safety measure.

I built a "sous vide" using 1kw kettle elements a ppe? controller and a laboratory magnetic stirrer. Using a 20 liter brewing bin.

The magnetic stirrer spins a magnetic bar inside a case. You sit the bin on top and put a teflon coated magnetic bar in the bin. Leak free stirring.

It was great for doing a pigs head or a full ham, but for a couple of steaks was a bit of a faff :)

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:51 am

I remember that one with the stirrer, it was superb. :D :D

saucisson wrote:I'd never use it as a slow cooker, I wouldn't trust the non stick and to use it as a slow cooker you'd probably need to be cooking for 20 :)

I don't quite get this? If you don't trust it as a slow cooker, what do you use it for?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:11 pm

Sorry I wasn't clear, You can either fill the water bath with water and slow cook ie sous vide with your meat or whatever in vac pack bags floating in the water. Which is what I do.

Or they suggest that you can also use it as a big casserole pot and put a stew directly in the pan to use it as a "slo cooker" . That's the feature I doubt I will use, because I suspect having food in direct contact with the non-stick won't be good for it in the long term, and it's a very big pan. A small meal might get a bit lost in the bottom of it and dry out :) However I might use it as a bain marie to cook a meal in a smaller dish sat on the rack.

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:25 am

Dave,

That's interesting. I use a controller either for my slow cooker or for my bain marie:

For sous-vide, the bit I'm missing is some form of circulation. An air pump seems the easiest.

Pauline wouldn't contemplate the microwave turntable idea!

Any other suggestions?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:11 pm

An air stone seems the easiest solution to me :D

saucisson
Site Admin

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies