Curing Bacon ribs.

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Curing Bacon ribs.

Postby yotmon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi folks, anyone cured a sheet of 'bacon ribs' before ? Normally they are cured as part of the side but I've just taken a full sheet off a belly and was going to have them as 'Chinese' bbq ribs, but now fancy the cured, the type you would have with cabbage ! What I need to know is how to work out the weight of the cure - should I just weigh them and deduct 50% for the bone. Also, how long - would a couple of days do it ?

Thanks. Ste
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: Curing Bacon ribs.

Postby wheels » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:05 pm

I'd have thought at least 50% for the bone, but that's your call I'm afraid.

Time wise? It shouldn't matter with an EQ cure; I'd have thought it'd be done in a couple of days, but tend to err on the side of caution.

Looking at it, I'm not much help! :lol: :lol: :(

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:02 pm

Hi Phil, I didn't scrape the meat down to the bone but left enough on them without being too generous. They weigh 1500g so was thinking of using your calculator for dry cured bacon, then divide the final amount by 50% as I believe bone won't absorb the cure. They will be cooked in water, so if too salty can be changed after tasting. I'm not too bothered about the salt/sugar amount, but don't want to go over with the nitrites. What if i dropped to 40%- 45%, do you think it would still cure if left longer ?
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:27 pm

In that case, I'd go with you initial thought of 50%. :D

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners