Hand cutting meat for Chouriço

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Hand cutting meat for Chouriço

Postby Swing Swang » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:23 pm

Ok - so the first batch of chouriço will be ready for tasting in a few weeks.

Mum came over from Portugal and took a few semi-dried ones to hang in the neighbours chimney to finish off and then give me criticism.

First comments by the neighbour were - nice texture, niece even fillings of the casings, but he should have chopped the meat by hand and not put it through the mincer as this makes for a better appearance and more even drying (and it's not even been cut yet).

So although I know that I'm going to get one of the best lessons possible by said neighbour when I visit in July I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of hand cutting meat for chouriço? My guess is that I'd need to aim for 1/4" cubes. Is this about right, and how long does it take to do this for 10kg of meat?

Comments welcome.
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Re: Hand cutting meat for Chouriço

Postby BriCan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:32 am

Swing Swang wrote:So although I know that I'm going to get one of the best lessons possible by said neighbour when I visit in July I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of hand cutting meat for chouriço? My guess is that I'd need to aim for 1/4" cubes. Is this about right, and how long does it take to do this for 10kg of meat

Might not be the best one to answer this but I will av a go ;)

If hand cutting I would like to think that 1/4 inch dice would be fine and would be happy to go with it :)

As for 10kg of meat to be diced 1/4 inch one would have to take into consideration if the knife was sharp enough and also what type of knife ... pairing knife or a chefs knife ..... that being said .. for me ... about half an hour ... being realistic for most ... a couple of hours maybe longer if tea breaks are included ;)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Return to Beginners