Pork pie with................

Introductions and chatter

Pork pie with................

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:19 pm

Hi one and all and Happy New Year! yes I know it was ages ago but I have been away!

Anyway as I was going around various markets there seems to be an EXPLOSION of different flavor pork pies, which I know is a contradiction in terms BUT some of them were good. So I was wondering if anyone had an "unusual" pork pie recipe that I could try on the Farmers Market?

I am looking for a pork and stilton pie recipe if anyone can steer me in the right direction, and anything else you may think would work.

Pork and Apricot?
Pork and Apple?
Pork and ...................

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Re: Pork pie with................

Postby onewheeler » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:44 pm

Haggis. A slice of one of the new McSweens cylindrical ones on top of the filling would be nice :drool:
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:52 pm

Nice One!

I make scotch eggs with a black pudding and pork mix, never thought of putting it in or on a pie....thanks WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:03 pm

Black pud and pork round a pickled egg make a lovely combination :-)
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:00 am

Well after much experimenting and thousands of calories eaten, the two pies that came out top were Pork and Shropshire Blue and pork and branston pickle.

Add:

1lb branston to every 3lb of meat

4oz of grated cheese to every 2lb meat

I tried the black puddding on the pie and the general opinion was it was too dry but in the pie it was good but not as good as the above, in my opinion.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:10 pm

So you mix it throughout the meat?

Isn't it funny, neither appeal to me, and yet they're the best sellers. I guess it's a good job I don't have to do it for a living. :oops:

I like the link to the Shropshire name using Shropshire Blue.

Out of interest, and purely as an aside, Shropshire Blue has no connection with Shropshire other than the name. It was originally made in Lanarkshire and is now made mainly by a couple of Stilton dairies in Leics and Notts. The Shropshire Cheese Company has started to make it locally, if it can be said to have any form of locality? It'll cause some interesting arguments if a pdo/pdf application is ever made for it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Wikipedia page for it mentions: "a variant, called Ludlow Blue, is now also being made in the county of Shropshire in a small artisan dairy". Have you come across this WW?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby welsh wizard » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:44 am

Hi Wheels, yep mix it through the meat.

Ludlow Blue is made by our local food centre. I have tried it but I prefer Shropshire (ish) blue. We do however buy it for weddings etc where people want to eat local foods.

I tend to use the name Shropshire and Ludlow a lot in my products i.e. The Ludlow Pasty but only if all the ingredients come from the area. You have to have a hook to try and get people to buy for the first time and often the name is the hook. Once they have bought the product they hopefully will come back for more....

Cheers
WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Thanks for the info WW, I hope to visit Ludlow at some stage, the food scene that you're part of looks to be one of the best in the Country.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:45 am

Hi Wheels

I sit on the committee for the Farmers Market and we try really hard to ensure all traders come from within a 30m radius (we have to go out so far because we are so rural) and only use or sell local produce. It can be tough be we seem to manage. No names no pack drill but we once had a trade selling burgers which in all fairness they did make, but using Tesco buns. He said "well it is local, I only bought them down the road"..............

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Return to Chatter