Left over hog casings

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Left over hog casings

Postby Invicta bbq » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:44 pm

Got about half of a batch of hog casings left over from my first effort. At the moment they have been left in a heavy salt and water solution in my fridge. How long can I store them for until I do my next batch?

Regards

Invicta
Invicta bbq
Registered Member

Re: Left over hog casings

Postby yotmon » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:34 pm

It all depends on when you intend to make your next batch. If its imminent then they are fine as they are. If not, then what I would do is place them in a sieve to drain the water off, after which place on a cloth to absorb as much water as possible before saturating them in dry salt. Place in a zip-lock plastic bag in the fridge until next time. Just check them periodically for any odd/off smells but they should be okay.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby Invicta bbq » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:59 am

Thanks Yotmon.
Invicta bbq
Registered Member

Postby kil2k » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:12 pm

Oh man, I just left mine in a bit of water in a ziplock bag, and left them in the fridge for three weeks. They seemed fine when using them, and they certainly haven't tainted the sausages I made yesterday :o
kil2k
Registered Member

Postby Wal Footrot » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:13 am

You can freeze them as well - I leave mine in the brine so they stay moist and thaw out quicker
Wal Footrot
Wal Footrot
Registered Member

Return to Beginners