As sure as eggs are eggs..

Introductions and chatter

As sure as eggs are eggs..

Postby yotmon » Thu May 21, 2015 8:51 pm

Cooked myself a breakfast this morning which included 2 x fried eggs and low and behold as I cracked the first one into the pan it turned out to be a double yolker. I haven't seen one for over thirty years so you can imagine my surprise when I cracked the next egg and that was also a 'double'. What's the chances of that happening :shock: Thought they'd stopped making them :wink:
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: As sure as eggs are eggs..

Postby Slarti » Thu May 21, 2015 9:12 pm

We have chooks (just 4) and last summer one of them regularly laid a double - they were noticably larger eggs though. As it was her first year laying, I reckon it was just the egg production system sorting out the process correctly - two eggs get caught up in the same shell making action.
Slarti
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Sun May 24, 2015 8:55 pm

Well that was weird, all 6 eggs I bought turned out to be double yolkers - don't know what the odds are for that happening but I bet its more than winning the lottery :shock: I bought them from Netto - a Danish budget supermarket that pulled out of the UK about 4 years ago, but recently opened a few branches in partnership with Sainburys. I've got a feeling that most supermarkets don't 'touch' the first lay of pullets until they settle down and lay a 'unformed' egg, whereas Netto are probably happy to sell whatever they can get hold of - as long as its cheap ! I don't care - happy to get a dozen eggs for the price of a half :)
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby Slarti » Sun May 24, 2015 11:02 pm

yeah, years ago I remember getting a dozen eggs that either all 12, or at least 11, were double yolkers. I hadn't seen any for years up till then.

Have a look through youtube for a clip on an egg within an egg.
Slarti
Registered Member

Return to Chatter