Some questions about making salami

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Re: Some questions about making salami

Postby Weoochaun » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:44 pm

Weight loss was averaging 40% yesterday.
Took one down and sliced it open. Texture is much improved. The center is no longer mushy but is still too soft. No cavities yet.
Looked OK and smelt good so I had a taste and irresponsibly finished one off! I can't really see any chance of bad bacteria being able to survive or multiply in these conditions. Clearly they wont be keepers for consumption 6 months hence but at least (with the help of added humidity) they are drying from the center now.
Also the acid tang seems to have mellowed a bit. Is it possible that 2 weeks could have changed the pH?
Weoochaun
Registered Member

Postby Weoochaun » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:22 am

Its about 6 weeks since casing my salami. I have been eating slices every day and I'm sure the flavor is improving!

They have lost 46% weight albeit unevenly. The center is definitely a nice texture now, however I cannot attest that it has reached a safe AW level (for long term stowage). The dry outside ring has in some places become very tough, something akin to chewing on old football boots :D (the plastic kind :cry: ).
I am now going to wrap in cling film and store in the fridge (enough of the high 13 C temperature for this lot) and eat at leisure. May get some bonus due to water equilisation.

Fairly sure that they are microbially safe at present and will be OK to eat from the regular fridge for another month. Anyone disagree please give me a shout!
Weoochaun
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:24 am

Vac-packing sometimes evens out any case hardening on the outside.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Weoochaun » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:30 pm

wheels wrote:Vac-packing sometimes evens out any case hardening on the outside.

Phil

I'm hoping that's the case because its as hard as being an incorruptible politician at the moment!
Weoochaun
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Beginners