Salami keeps dropping. Bubble knots letting go

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Salami keeps dropping. Bubble knots letting go

Postby Shalloy46 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:51 am

Made salami today for the second time and had the same issueswiththem dropping in our chamber. The last time I did too the bubble knots correctly so this time after tying the first knot I flipped the casing over some bamboo skewer then tied the second knot and removed the skewer so I had a definite loop.
But I still had 3-4 of them drop and had to be re tied. (Well it could be more as I'm not home tonight)

Any tips for stopping them dropping like this? I'm using 38-40 mm hog casings.

Is it okay to just leave them on a tray in the chamber for the first few days whilst they ferment and dry a bit and just turn them over everyday, then hang them once the casings are a bit drier and less slippery?
Shalloy46
Registered Member

Re: Salami keeps dropping. Bubble knots letting go

Postby NCPaul » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:54 pm

I'm terrible at knots so I use hog rings. For hog casings 3/8" should work; for larger salamis, up to 80 mm I use 1/2" rings. I ferment my salamis on a horizontal rack in the oven but they do not lose any weight. The casing might set a little better. Are you using a good unwaxed twine?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Shalloy46 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:03 pm

Yes im using butchers string. Its unwaxed and seems to be good quality. I wet them first.
Shalloy46
Registered Member

Postby ped » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:49 am

Does this help?, the additional info may be of interest as well? : http://www.delmarlearning.com/companion ... %20PPT.ppt
ped
Registered Member

Postby Shalloy46 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:33 am

ped wrote:Does this help?, the additional info may be of interest as well? : http://www.delmarlearning.com/companion ... %20PPT.ppt

I've read that pdf before, but thanks anyway. They still seem to keep dropping until they've dried out for a day or so. Is it okay to leave them flat n a tray whilst they are fermenting? Then hang them once they have dried out a bit?
Shalloy46
Registered Member

Postby Swing Swang » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:19 pm

Essentially a bubble knot is a casing tied into a reef/granny knot - if you modify this slightly to a surgeon's-type knot, wrapping the casing around the string a couple of times before you tie the second part of the know you should be very secure.

Another thing that worked for me is to not be too frugal with the empty bit of casing. A couple of cm (or more) is much easier to tie into a bubble knot than 5mm until you get the hand of it.

So, in words, this is my modification:

Instead of the first overhand knot (i.e. the 'left over right' bit in reef knot terminology) wrap the 'left' around around the 'right' TWICE and pull tight. The extra turn gives a tighter first part. and the extra friction stops the knot working loose whilst you let go and reposition your hands to finish the knot off.

Then wrap the casing TWICE around one of the standing parts (i.e. the bit that you are holding in either your left or your right hand) - you are not forming a knot with the casing and the string, just twisting them around each other, and this gets worked/jammed into the final overhand knot - if you're really cautious you could wrap the casing round a few more times just for good measure! Ensure the twisted casing is snug against that the first overhand knot.

The tie another overhand knot (in boy scouts' terminology that's the 'left over right' bit to finish off.

Much quicker to do than to describe, and quite secure enough for my needs.
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby Swing Swang » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:40 pm

I couldn't edit - first line should read,

Essentially a bubble knot is a casing tied into two overhand knots, with one of the standing parts wrapped around the filled casing before the second overhand knot is tied.
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby Shalloy46 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:03 am

Swing Swang wrote:Essentially a bubble knot is a casing tied into a reef/granny knot - if you modify this slightly to a surgeon's-type knot, wrapping the casing around the string a couple of times before you tie the second part of the know you should be very secure.

Another thing that worked for me is to not be too frugal with the empty bit of casing. A couple of cm (or more) is much easier to tie into a bubble knot than 5mm until you get the hand of it.

So, in words, this is my modification:

Instead of the first overhand knot (i.e. the 'left over right' bit in reef knot terminology) wrap the 'left' around around the 'right' TWICE and pull tight. The extra turn gives a tighter first part. and the extra friction stops the knot working loose whilst you let go and reposition your hands to finish the knot off.

Then wrap the casing TWICE around one of the standing parts (i.e. the bit that you are holding in either your left or your right hand) - you are not forming a knot with the casing and the string, just twisting them around each other, and this gets worked/jammed into the final overhand knot - if you're really cautious you could wrap the casing round a few more times just for good measure! Ensure the twisted casing is snug against that the first overhand knot.

The tie another overhand knot (in boy scouts' terminology that's the 'left over right' bit to finish off.

Much quicker to do than to describe, and quite secure enough for my needs.

Mate that is an awesome explanation of how to tie these knots. I will give that a go next time. thanks heaps.
Shalloy46
Registered Member

Return to Beginners