Kippers - lovely !

Kippers - lovely !

Postby yotmon » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:25 am

I came across 3 x fresh Herring at the weekend reduced to £1.02, so not wanting to let them go to waste I took them home, split them down their backs, gutted them and gave them a good wash under a running tap. They were placed into a 80 degree brine (250ml cold water and 67g salt). Left them in the bath for 15 minutes to absorb the salt then washed again before hanging them open on the line outside to drip dry. Into the fridge overnight to rest before placing them in the smoker for 10 hours over oak dust.

Result -

I cooked them in a simple pan of hot water and poached them for about 5 minutes to heat through. To say that they were good would be an understatement. Served with freshly ground white pepper and melted butter, with fresh white buttered bread and a hot pot of tea. No comparison to those red-dyed flabby 'boil in the bag' excuse for kippers. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch a few fresh Mackerel before the season ends and I know what I'll be doing with them !!
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: Kippers - lovely !

Postby wheels » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:47 pm

They look the 'real deal'. Do you cut on both sides of the backbone and remove it?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:53 pm

Hi Phil, I was lucky that they hadn't been gutted so was able to go through the back of the fish. Originally i was going to just cut down one side of the backbone, but it seemed easier to then cut underneath it and pull it out. The remaining 'pin' bones seem to come away easier one cooked. I was going to leave the heads on but didn't fancy slipping with the knife trying to cleave them open, so i removed them along with the gills. I haven't smoked anything for a while so they were a welcome treat.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:25 pm

They sure look good. Removing the backbone completely seems a good idea to me.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby TonyE » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:42 am

Those Kippers look fantastic!! you smoked for 10hrs I presume that was cold smoking?
I own a Bradley which I have made a cold smoker attachment, it produces a fairly intense smoke, I would reduce the smoking time probably down to 3hrs and Cold smoke I think.

Any further information would be appreciated, I really want to try this

Regards - T
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:49 pm

I think that you'd probably need less time with the Bradley - as you say.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing