Bad smell from salami

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Re: Bad smell from salami

Postby Shalloy46 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:14 am

Anyone????
Shalloy46
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:18 am

What size casing are you using? 36-46% is a big loose for 4 weeks unless they are a small casing. If the one you cut into was not case hardened and a little soft then I'd go another week then vac seal to equalize the moisture.
The white mold is good, but I'm not sure about that black spot in your pic's, doesn't look like mold but I don't know what else it would be. Any chance it was in contact with metal of any type while in the chamber?
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Shalloy46 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:16 am

They are 38-42 mm hog casings. I kept my humidity up so I'm not sure why I lost so much weight so quickly. Most of the time my RH was at the upper end and over 80%.
I also sprayed them with distilled water every couple of days for the first week and washed them in wine once a week.

The salami didn't touch any metal whilst in the chamber, I made sure they were all apart from each other. I actually think that dark colour in the photo is just darker red meat as I added some pork leg pieces I had to my mix.
Shalloy46
Registered Member

Postby ped » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:47 pm

Out of interest, where have you read that spraying and washing after fermenting is part of the process ?
ped
Registered Member

Postby Shalloy46 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:37 am

one of the recipes I followed said to spray them every second day for the first two weeks to help stop them drying out.
Another recipe I followed said to rinse them in wine and water mix or red wine if they get too much mould on them or just to help with case hardening as well and add flavour.
Shalloy46
Registered Member

Postby ped » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:57 am

Must admit that I have not seen this advice in any books I've read, could you tell us which book/s?, with regard to mould, this is generally a good thing so long as it's the right, or let's put it another way not the wrong stuff, it can protect against harmful pathogens and contributes also to flavour. Do you use mold 600 (Penicillium nalgiovense) ?. You don't need to be wiping mould off whilst it is ageing/drying unless it is unwanted. I would suggest case hardening should be controlled more by correct temp and Rh rather than spraying. Where are you located?
ped
Registered Member

Postby Shalloy46 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:39 am

I followed this recipe here.

http://honest-food.net/2014/08/07/basic-salami-recipe/ (See number 11 about sprit zing them with water). He says once a day but I did it every second day.
I weighed them today which is exactly four weeks since I made them and weight loss varied between 46-49%. I know that's a lot for only four weeks but I had my RH up there.

Here's a pic of them.

And here is one cut open. A bit moist n the middle but not as bad as my first batch. I vac sealed them to let them equalise for a few weeks.
Shalloy46
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Beginners