sausage texture

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

sausage texture

Postby robr » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:50 am

Hi when I make sausages the textire seems wrong. After frying the meat seems to be poached not fried.
I am using ratios of 80% pork, 6.5% rusk, 11% water, 2.5% seasoning with natural hog skins.
Rusk is home made from Parson Snow recipe.
I have tried changing amount of water but no difference.
Can anyone offer any ideas?
Robr
robr
Registered Member

Re: sausage texture

Postby wheels » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:12 pm

Hi. :D I don't quite get what you mean by the texture being like a poached sausage. Is too dry? More like minced pork than sausage-meat? Is the rusk really dried before you use it? Has the pork got over 20% fat that you can see?

The recipe's fine. It must just be the method. Maybe review what you did by comparing your method with the one in Sausagemaker's guide:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/sausag ... _guide.pdf

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby robr » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:02 am

Hi thank you for the reply. The sausage has crumbly meat, difficult to explain. The rusk is extremely small sized as I do not grate it but blitz it.
Meanwhile I will check the guide and see if I can figure it out.
robr
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:05 pm

Crumbly meat is often from inadequate mixing. Mixing the meat allows the salt to release myosin from the meat. This is what turns the meat from mince into sausage-meat.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners