Sausage Making Feedback. Why such a sweat?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Sausage Making Feedback. Why such a sweat?

Postby shaunRSA » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:36 am

Hi
I posted on here about my first experience of making boerewors with a stand alone Kenwood MG450 mincer/stuffer and it was a relatively easy experience.
Yesterday I tried my hand at making sausages using an almost identical method and it was a real pain in the neck trying to stuff the casing this time round.

I used pork shoulder with about a 75-25 percent ratio.
I made sure the meat was really cold, then cut it up and did a grind with a coarse plate, mixed in my water and spices, then re-ground the meat with a medium plate.
The mincing was easy.

Stuffing the casing was a different story though.
Trying to get the meat through the feeder tube at the top was a long an arduous process. :cry:

The meat was really sticky and the plunger/meat pusher kept getting stuck in the feeding hole, and it took forever to get all the meat through.
When I made the boerewors my wife found the process of filling the feeder with the mince relatively easy, yet my strapping 25 year old son really battled to feed the sausage mix.

The only thing I could think of was perhaps i should have put the meat in the freezer for a while after my second grind, before stuffing?
Also the water and spice mix was a different ratio to when I did the boerewors.

Or must I just break down and fork out for a good hand stuffer?

The end result was still pleasing though, but the process was a bit off-putting, to be honest.

shaunRSA
Registered Member

Re: Sausage Making Feedback. Why such a sweat?

Postby wheels » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:25 pm

The end result looks great, but you've just come across one of the disadvantages of stuffing using a mincer/grinder. Sometimes, dropping the meat down the tube in golf-ball sized pieces helps, but the ultimate solution is a stand alone stuffer.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby crustyo44 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:38 pm

More expense for you Shaun, but Phil is 100% correct. The best solution is a dedicated stuffer. I have a 5 litre stainless upright stuffer and fill 10 kg of mix in no time at all, all by myself as well.
Your snags looks great and you know what's in them.
Good luck,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:56 pm

When I first started making sausages I used the grinder as a stuffer several times. Each time it was a frustrating battle, taking hours longer to finish ... I would be cursing and grumbling the whole way through but the results always made it worth while. When I finally sucked it up and bought a 5lb vertical LEM stuffer, the first time I used it I was amazed and kicked myself for not buying one after my first frustrating stuffing attempt!

Take the advise here ... buy a dedicated stuffer ... do it now, don't wait until several nearly unbareable stuffing experiences to do so! You will be amazed at how much easier it is and how much more you enjoy the sausage making process.

I bought my close friend a grinder for last Christmas as he was raving about my sausage and wanted to do his own. After the second or third try stuffing with the grinder he gave up and no longer attempts to make his own sausage. I told him to splurge on a stuffer but the whole process has soured him and I can see he never will. I'm not saying that happens to everyone but I'm sure a large percentage of would-be-sausage-makers have given up much like he did.

Buy the dedicated stuffer, trust me, I can't stress enough about how much better it is with one.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby shaunRSA » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:04 pm

Thanks guys.
I get the message. A dedicated hand cranked stuffer it is.
There are some stainless steel ones here for around R2 500 that I'm looking at..
Anyone in South Africa that can point me in the right direction? Or advice?
Much appreciated.
shaunRSA
Registered Member

Postby shaunRSA » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:10 pm

wheels wrote:The end result looks great, but you've just come across one of the disadvantages of stuffing using a mincer/grinder. Sometimes, dropping the meat down the tube in golf-ball sized pieces helps, but the ultimate solution is a stand alone stuffer.

HTH

Phil

Thanks Phil.
Was hoping to save some money, but alas, I won't go through that experience again in a hurry. :cry:
A dedicated stuffer it has to be.
shaunRSA
Registered Member

Postby shaunRSA » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:13 pm

ComradeQ wrote:When I first started making sausages I used the grinder as a stuffer several times. Each time it was a frustrating battle, taking hours longer to finish ... I would be cursing and grumbling the whole way through but the results always made it worth while. When I finally sucked it up and bought a 5lb vertical LEM stuffer, the first time I used it I was amazed and kicked myself for not buying one after my first frustrating stuffing attempt!

Take the advise here ... buy a dedicated stuffer ... do it now, don't wait until several nearly unbareable stuffing experiences to do so! You will be amazed at how much easier it is and how much more you enjoy the sausage making process.

I bought my close friend a grinder for last Christmas as he was raving about my sausage and wanted to do his own. After the second or third try stuffing with the grinder he gave up and no longer attempts to make his own sausage. I told him to splurge on a stuffer but the whole process has soured him and I can see he never will. I'm not saying that happens to everyone but I'm sure a large percentage of would-be-sausage-makers have given up much like he did.

Buy the dedicated stuffer, trust me, I can't stress enough about how much better it is with one.

Thanks for the advice mate.
I definitely get your point.
I'm looking at options right now.
shaunRSA
Registered Member

Postby shaunRSA » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:15 pm

crustyo44 wrote:More expense for you Shaun, but Phil is 100% correct. The best solution is a dedicated stuffer. I have a 5 litre stainless upright stuffer and fill 10 kg of mix in no time at all, all by myself as well.
Your snags looks great and you know what's in them.
Good luck,
Jan.

Hi Jan
Thanks again for the emails mate.
Going to try the recipes soon.
Ja, I hear you. Dedicated stuffer it has to be.
shaunRSA
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:00 am

Your links look great, and welcome to the forums!
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby shaunRSA » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:01 pm

Thanks Dan.
shaunRSA
Registered Member

Return to Beginners