Black pudding - is recipe okay ?

Introductions and chatter

Black pudding - is recipe okay ?

Postby yotmon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:40 pm

Just copying a recipe off one of the threads on here, but was thinking that the oatmeal sounded a bit high.

Dried blood 1oog
Water 700g
Backfat 240g
Oatmeal 300g
Rusk 100g
Pearl barley 50g - boil before use.
Chopped onion 100g (softened in lard).
Seasoning -
Salt 28g
Black pepper 7g
Coriander 5g
Allspice 1g
Mint 1g
Cumin .6g
Cloves .6g

What do you think ?
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: Black pudding - is recipe okay ?

Postby wheels » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:53 pm

I think it should be OK. I'm no BP expert, but looking at the ingredients in various recipes, many are similar.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:05 pm

Thanks for that Phil, will continue with the recipe.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:45 pm

Is it the one that member Sundodger poster? If so, I think he was making it commercially to supply a Lancatrian ex-pat community. So, it had better be good! :lol: :lol:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Dibbs » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:46 pm

I can't comment on that recipe but I've developed a black pudding recipe roughly based on (but not conformant to) the Stornaway specification that was posted on here somewhere.

20% blood
20% oatmeal
20% Atora suet
20% minced pork belly
20% pureed onion

Salt and spices as I feel on the day.
Dibbs
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:01 pm

I assume that the blood is measured after being mixed with water?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:28 am

wheels wrote:Is it the one that member Sundodger poster? If so, I think he was making it commercially to supply a Lancatrian ex-pat community. So, it had better be good! :lol: :lol:

Phil

That's the one Phil, well spotted !

Continued with the recipe today, all went well and ended up with 8 decent sized puds :D I was a bit wary thinking the kitchen would end up looking like a scene from the chainsaw massacre :shock: however, was pleased with the procedure. I used the bowl from a kenwood chef and added the water before adding the powdered blood slowly whilst whisking. Then added the spices to the liquid before adding the fat, cooked pearl barley and sweated onions to the mix. Then the oatmeal (porridge blitzed in the coffee grinder) followed by the rusk.

The mix was a good workable firmness so I used a caulking gun as a filler - was going to us a cut off plastic bottle neck but this was a lot easier. I used large hog casings bought locally and they certainly fitted the bill. I was mindful not to overfill to prevent bursting. I tied string along the length then linked them into the traditional 'loop'. All were placed in a large pan of hot water (80c) and left to cook slowly. I may have been lucky, but none of them decided to split open. Once cooked, I hung them outside to cool off before refrigerating. They smell 'right' so looking forward to having one for breakfast - probably re-heated in hot water and served with HP sauce and white pepper. I prefer them this way if served on their own - if part of an 'full English' breakfast then I'd slice and fry them in bacon dripping.

I did take pics of the procedure but my computer takes ages to upload. I might put a couple on here to show the end result.

All the best. yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:41 am

wheels wrote:Is it the one that member Sundodger poster? If so, I think he was making it commercially to supply a Lancatrian ex-pat community. So, it had better be good! :lol: :lol:

Phil

It better be as it is the one I gave him -- he made a slight change to suit his taste :)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:49 am

yotmon wrote:All were placed in a large pan of hot water (80c) and left to cook slowly. I may have been lucky, but none of them decided to split open. Once cooked, I hung them outside to cool off before refrigerating.

Cooking temperature was right-- the trick is not to cover as this will lead to bust puds

If you decide to make again once puds are cooked plunge/place them into cold water to cool :D
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Return to Chatter