Dry cure bacon timing

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Re: Dry cure bacon timing

Postby BriCan » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:39 am

wheels wrote:There's no doubt an art to getting it so that it doesn't taste like turpentine!

Phil

I cheat to some extent :roll:

Use a 50/50 mix of hardwood and softwood along with a handful of Juniper berries :D

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:24 pm

Many thanks for all the Info, and 'setting the record straight' Brican. I love cardamom and can't believe that I've never thought of adding it to a cure myself. :oops:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:18 am

wheels wrote:Many thanks for all the Info, and 'setting the record straight' Brican. I love cardamom and can't believe that I've never thought of adding it to a cure myself. :oops:

Phil

If you are game I could send you my Rustic German Hunter Bacon recipe if you like -- has cardamon in it ;)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:13 pm

Please, that'd be great.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby boffin » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:35 pm

Brican asks what cure do I use.
It is table salt at 45 gm/kg 0.25 gm Prague salt#2 Black pepper and that is all
Thus the final product contains 150 mg of sodium nitrite per kg of meat
I aim to reduce the salt in future but have yet to experiment.
New to this site so I hope this post is in the correct place
boffin
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:23 am

boffin wrote:Brican asks what cure do I use.
It is table salt at 45 gm/kg

Your salt content here is 4.5% --- definitely will be on the salty side as you have found out -- I use 2% as I like the meat to shine -- the highest I would go is 2.5%

0.25 gm Prague salt#2

Not sure if it is a typing error or not -- 0.25% is right --- where the mistake is Prague salt #2 <--- this is used for long term curing/drying such as Salame's. ---- Cure #1 is what we use for short term, bacon

Hope this helps :)

Welcome to the forum
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby boffin » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:40 am

Sorry a typo. Should be 2.5 gm of Prague salt#2 per kilo of meat and also add 2.5 gm Ascorbic acid per kilo. I just feel that as I extend the drying/maturing stage this will ensure the keeping qualities. I have no hang-ups regarding nitrates and nitrates. I do not intend to reduce the salt below 3.5%
boffin
Registered Member

Postby Shuswap » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:04 pm

crustyo44 wrote:Personally I use 2.5% salt plus a cure and whatever spices you want. Divide this in half and cure the meat for 9 days, then add the other half of the salt/spice mix and cure for a further 9 days.
I like to cure in a vacuum bag sealed with some vacuum in it. Clean and no leakage.
Search "Curing Techniques" on the Forum. You will see plenty of recipes and procedures by Robert (BriCan)
Good Luck.
Jan.

Hi Jan
I was rereading this thread and your comment caught my eye. I have attempted to read every posting Brican has made on any forum about his bacon. While I sometimes miss things, I have yet to see him suggest a 2%salt/0.25%Prague1 that he then divides in two applying one half in the first week and the second half in the second week. The only person I'm aware of that reduces the amount of cure but extends the time in the brine is Pops over on the smoking meat forum - many of us use his brine for our hams. If you remember where you found this advice from Brican I would love to add the reference to my bacon notes.
Phil
Shuswap
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:35 pm

boffin wrote:Sorry a typo. Should be 2.5 gm of Prague salt#2 per kilo of meat and also add 2.5 gm Ascorbic acid per kilo. I just feel that as I extend the drying/maturing stage this will ensure the keeping qualities. I have no hang-ups regarding nitrates and nitrates. I do not intend to reduce the salt below 3.5%

2.5gm/kg Ascorbic acid seems excessive. The US regs limit ascorbic acid to 469 ppm. That's 0.469gm/kg.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:51 am

Shuswap wrote:
crustyo44 wrote:Personally I use 2.5% salt plus a cure and whatever spices you want. Divide this in half and cure the meat for 9 days, then add the other half of the salt/spice mix and cure for a further 9 days.
I like to cure in a vacuum bag sealed with some vacuum in it. Clean and no leakage.
Search "Curing Techniques" on the Forum. You will see plenty of recipes and procedures by Robert (BriCan)
Good Luck.
Jan.

I am leaving the above so not to distort this :shock:

Hi Jan
I was rereading this thread and your comment caught my eye. I have attempted to read every posting Brican has made on any forum about his bacon.

I did not know things I wrote about was that popular with folks, let alone people only 5 hours away from me :oops:

While I sometimes miss things, I have yet to see him suggest a 2%salt/0.25%Prague1 that he then divides in two applying one half in the first week and the second half in the second week.

We are talking bacon here?? --- Yes I use 2% salt and 0.25% cure #1 for my bacon which I put down for 7 days -- unless it's a sow belly (much thicker) in which case I do 14 days --- I "never" split the salt/cure mix and apply in two lots :roll:

The only person I'm aware of that reduces the amount of cure but extends the time in the brine is Pops over on the smoking meat forum

Curious --- reducing the amount of cure then extending the length of time in cure -- care to explain the reasoning?
- many of us use his brine for our hams.

And the reason?? -- curious :)

If you remember where you found this advice from Brican I would love to add the reference to my bacon notes.
Phil

Only time I split salt/cure is when doing a EQ cured ham, I find that I am not wasting salt/cure if I apply all at once hence I split salt/cure in half and apply yo leg, wrap in food grade plastic and leave for 14 days - rinse - re-apply remainder of the salt/cure and leave for a further 14 days
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:07 am

boffin wrote:Sorry a typo. Should be 2.5 gm of Prague salt#2 per kilo of meat

2.5 gm of Prague salt#2 per kilo of meat

If we are making bacon we need to use Cure #1

and also add 2.5 gm Ascorbic acid per kilo. I just feel that as I extend the drying/maturing stage this will ensure the keeping qualities.

As Wheels has already noted your numbers are too high :cry: -- the norm is 0.25%

I have no hang-ups regarding nitrates and nitrates. I do not intend to reduce the salt below 3.5%

Hang-ups regarding nitrates and nitrates have no baring on the salt :roll: -- Not reducing your salt below 3.5% will in all honesty give you a very salty piece of bacon -- mind you is you are going for "salt pork" you are defently on the right track :lol: --- 3.5% salt plus 0.25% cure still gives you a total of 3.75% salt :shock: :roll: :cry:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:08 am

On a side not I am not getting notifications :cry:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:49 pm

I've pm'd admin for you.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Shuswap » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:40 pm

BriCan wrote:
I did not know things I wrote about was that popular with folks, let alone people only 5 hours away from me :oops:

Waltch your six Robert - I'm nearby eastward and Redzed is nearby westward :)

The only person I'm aware of that reduces the amount of cure but extends the time in the brine is Pops over on the smoking meat forum

Pop explains his brine here: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/pops ... -cure-only

[quote]Only time I split salt/cure is when doing a EQ cured ham, I find that I am not wasting salt/cure if I apply all at once hence I split salt/cure in half and apply yo leg, wrap in food grade plastic and leave for 14 days - rinse - re-apply remainder of the salt/cure and leave for a further 14 days[/quo]te

Thanks Brican
Shuswap
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:01 pm

wheels wrote:I've pm'd admin for you.

Phil

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Curing Techniques