Prague Powder - South African Supplier

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Postby JohnT » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:51 am

(Mods, if this is posted in the wrong forum section, please move it)

In my search for the above, I found that the supplier "Crown National" in South Africa (with branches all over the country) supplies Prague Powder and Prague Powder NN. I have contacted them and found the following:

"Prague Powder NN" is closest to Cure #1 BUT contains 91% salt, 8% Sodium Nitrite and 1% dies, anti caking agent etc. the representative for Crown National claims that the powder be applied at 2g per 1kg meat block. I will have to warm up my brain cells and check the actual percentages to ensure this is the correct quantity.

"Prague Powder" is closest to Cure #2 BUT contains 90,06% salt, 5,9% Sodium Nitrite, 4,0% Sodium Nitrate. This appears comparable with the amounts contained in the Cure #2 sold on sausagemaking.org.

The above said, I now wonder if there are any other South African members on the forum that I can correspond with to find suppliers of starter cultures for fermented sausages as neither of the two main suppliers in South Africa stock them.

John in Cape Town
JohnT
Registered Member

Re: Prague Powder - South African Supplier

Postby wheels » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:40 am

2gm per kg of boneless meat will be fine for the NN. If you want to calculate other amounts etc, I have a calculator here:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/calcul ... ure_bacon/

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby JohnT » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi Phil, thanks for the link to your calculator and site. I must admit that I am a regular visitor as it is also packed with information and a great source of inspiration. Well done and thanks for keeping it!

John
JohnT
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:31 pm

:oops: :oops:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby shak86 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:08 pm

Hi John, old post but ill give it a shot anyway. I was wondering if you ever found any suppliers in Cape Town for starter cultures? I am venturing into making my own salami and other fermented sausages and I would appreciate any help with this.
I have looked at Freddy Hirsch, they have 2 cultures on their website but no info on price and how to purchase them.
Cheers
Kyle
shak86
Newly Registered

Postby JohnT » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:12 pm

Kyle, I have never been able to find cure #1 but Deli Spices has a product called "Quick Cure", which is available in a 2kg bag for around R38.00. It is 6% Sodium Nitrite, 3% Sodium Nitrate and the remainder being salt. They have a web site www.delispices.co.za. This is ideal for salami and fermented sausages. Deli Spices is just up the road from Freddy Hirsch, a few streets on the Goodwood side, I think it is C/o Voortrekker and 13 or 14th Ave. they also have branches all over the country. Hope that helps.
John. 0825516794
JohnT
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques