Couple of Black pudding questions.

Introductions and chatter

Couple of Black pudding questions.

Postby yotmon » Wed May 11, 2016 3:48 pm

Hi folks, first of all I'll be making another batch of English type black puds tomorrow and this time i'm thinking of using a sleeve instead of casings. When filling the sleeve, do they need to be tight or do you have to allow for swelling as with the natural casing ? I don't want to end up with a pan of BP soup !

The other question is about Morcilla. I was attempting to make these from copying a recipe from Geoff Wiess' Spanish charcuterie book. I cooked the onions in lard, then added them to the blood mix with the quantity of small grain rice. The recipe mentioned that the rice would swell and absorb some of the liquid. when I attempted to fill the casings using a caulk gun and sausage tube (does a good job with the english puds) the liquid was pushed through, leaving the rice grains behind - clogging up the tube. I ended up aborting the mission !
I'm going to have another go soon, but changing it slightly by either part cooking the rice first (didn't want to do this as I thought i would be left with a 'wet' pudding, but now realise that the blood (dried + water) would solidify), or should I grind the raw rice down into a powder and add it to the liquid to firm it up for filling ?

Any advice is welcome !
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: Couple of Black pudding questions.

Postby wheels » Wed May 11, 2016 7:12 pm

I can't comment on most of this, but for what it's worth, the Morcilla I've been brought from Spain has whole rice grains in it.

HTH
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Thu May 12, 2016 5:12 am

yotmon wrote:Hi folks, first of all I'll be making another batch of English type black puds tomorrow and this time i'm thinking of using a sleeve instead of casings. When filling the sleeve, do they need to be tight or do you have to allow for swelling as with the natural casing ? I don't want to end up with a pan of BP soup !

I use a 75mm x 61cm. black moisture proof casing. In fact I just did up 20 of them today :)

Fill them tight but not overly tight as they will swell somewhat

Pouch at (water) 185 degrees F and no higher than 190 degrees F -- Cooking (pouching) time will be 4 hours depending upon your diameter of your casing, but suffice to say mine will take four hours (I do this every two weeks)

Do not prick or attempt to take internal temperature -- you do you will have blood soup -- which is tasty by the way ;)

The other question is about Morcilla. I was attempting to make these from copying a recipe from Geoff Wiess' Spanish charcuterie book. I cooked the onions in lard, then added them to the blood mix with the quantity of small grain rice. The recipe mentioned that the rice would swell and absorb some of the liquid. when I attempted to fill the casings using a caulk gun and sausage tube (does a good job with the english puds) the liquid was pushed through, leaving the rice grains behind - clogging up the tube. I ended up aborting the mission !
I'm going to have another go soon, but changing it slightly by either part cooking the rice first (didn't want to do this as I thought i would be left with a 'wet' pudding, but now realise that the blood (dried + water) would solidify), or should I grind the raw rice down into a powder and add it to the liquid to firm it up for filling ?

Any advice is welcome !

If you read the recipe (page 258) -- #1 basically says sweat the onions down until transparent (no crunch) #2 -- combine the onions and rice, cover with plastic wrap and put in fridge to chill for 6 hours or overnight -- rice will absorb fat/liquid -- It even says -- if you do not let the rice absorb all the liquid in this step you may need to cook the sausage longer -- it also states that if in a rush you can speed things up by par-cooking the rice before mixing

So treat the rice as you would the barley when making regular puds
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu May 12, 2016 5:18 am

yotmon, if you are on Facebook take a look at my page as I post all my work stuff on there -- I have problems posting pictures here right now as my laptop is in for repair and this computer is not set up yet for pictures
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Thu May 12, 2016 10:54 am

Hi Robert, thanks for the replies. I did leave the rice to soak for quite a few hours, but obviously not enough ! I'll have another go and see how they turn out.
Will check out your FB page as well. cheers, Ste.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Thu May 12, 2016 5:53 pm

For morcilla con arroz I've always just soaked the rice (Bomba paella rice) in the mix with blood, spices, grated onion and grated fat for a few hours (4 or 5). Basically, the fat and onions go in the food processor, and everything else is stirred in. Works fine for me, and I use the standard stuffer for stuffing. It's a bit messy but not a big problem so long as the missus doesn't see it :P A large funnel would probably do the job.

I wasn't sure if cooking the onions as in Weiss's recipes is necessary. They, and the rice, seem to get adequately cooked when the BP is brought to 80 C. I use hog casings, as morcilla is generally sold as a slim sausage.
onewheeler
Registered Member

Return to Chatter