semicured chorizo

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

semicured chorizo

Postby KenGeo » Thu May 19, 2016 2:38 pm

Hi, newbe here ! please forgive me if this has been asked, but I couldn't find it. I want to make Semicured Spanish Chorizo. My question is... Would I use a standard cure recipe and just let it cure for less time and weight loss percentage or is it a different technique altogether? Thanks Ken
KenGeo
Newly Registered

Re: semicured chorizo

Postby NCPaul » Thu May 19, 2016 4:56 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D You are right, use a standard curing process and dry to about 15 % (or more to taste). The sausage would need to be refrigerated afterwards with a shelf life of two weeks or it can be cooked. An example of this type would be chistorra if you happen to have Jeffrey Weiss' book. It's an interesting texture to most.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby moldy meat » Fri May 20, 2016 12:00 am

KenGeo wrote:Hi, newbe here ! please forgive me if this has been asked, but I couldn't find it. I want to make Semicured Spanish Chorizo. My question is... Would I use a standard cure recipe and just let it cure for less time and weight loss percentage or is it a different technique altogether? Thanks Ken

i am a bit new to all this too, so i am curious what is the point of not fully curing the chorizo? i am guessing it would have to be fully cooked before serving, since it's not fully cured?

MM
moldy meat
Registered Member

Postby Swing Swang » Fri May 20, 2016 8:54 pm

Semi-cured are often fully cooked but can be eaten raw too - eg nduja is often spread on bread - it comes down to personal preference and what you want to do with it - a semi-cured chorizo has a wonderful/juicy texture when poached in cider (i.e. hard cider) that is completely different to the much harder fully cured version (but both taste great!)
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby moldy meat » Sat May 21, 2016 6:21 pm

Swing Swang wrote:Semi-cured are often fully cooked but can be eaten raw too - eg nduja is often spread on bread - it comes down to personal preference and what you want to do with it - a semi-cured chorizo has a wonderful/juicy texture when poached in cider (i.e. hard cider) that is completely different to the much harder fully cured version (but both taste great!)

thanks for the clarification. i have made raw chorizo (no cure #1) and poached it in beer. that turned out great, best chorizo i have ever had. i may have to try poaching some in my homemade hard cider, as i have 15 gallons of it from last years cider pressing. i have also made beer brats and poached them in beer. good stuff!

MM
moldy meat
Registered Member

Return to Beginners